OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hoosier national forrest?

Started by 10ga.Trauma, February 16, 2015, 05:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10ga.Trauma

Does anyone on this forum hunt it? I would love to get some advice. Not asking for secret spots just a place to start.
Thanks

Crappiepro

I've heard there some pressure in that area. I know a guy that makes custom call that hunts there.
Have you put in for the draw hunt at Deer Creek FWA. There is a ton of birds there.
I used to hunt it before the sate took it away from the Prison.

10ga.Trauma

I already used up my one draw application for another property closer to home. My plan was to take a bird there, but if that fell through then I would go camp for a week at the National forest, and hunt.

Indianayounggun

I hunted in the HNF this past year for the first time in my life. I had very high expectations going into the season based on my preseason scouting. I live about an hour and ten minutes from where I am familiar with and hunted so I was only able to go and listen 5-6 times before the season and made an effort to try and listen in different spots the first 2-3 times just to see what amount of the ground held birds. Anyways, I never heard less than 4 birds in a morning of scouting and the most I heard on one morning was upwards of 12-15. On the opening day I doubled with my dad on a group of 3 two year olds that came in pepper hot off the roost. After that I was able to call four more to the gun for friends, three of which got a ride over their shoulder. I will tell you that the three other gobblers I was a part of hunting were all in the last week to ten days of the season. You see a lot of trucks along the roads but go in deep and don't come out early and you should find success. I never hunted a time there last year without working at least one bird.

T-town

Interestingly enough, I was talking to a guy about this at the convention this weekend. He said the trouble he has with it is that the morell hunters keep messing him up.

Indianayounggun

Oh and one more comment, I also never started a morning any closer to a road than seven tenths of a mile, confirmed by my garmin . But I was where I wanted to be by at the minimum two hours before daylight and never got beat to my spots. My friends complained a lot on the way in during the dark, but they were pretty much all more upbeat on the way back the the truck. Lol

Indianayounggun

Quote from: T-town on February 16, 2015, 10:01:52 PM
Interestingly enough, I was talking to a guy about this at the convention this weekend. He said the trouble he has with it is that the morell hunters keep messing him up.
I have heard about this quite a bit actually and I can attest that I have seen quite a few mushroom hunters... As well as hunters that seem to be on mushrooms, but the one thing I have noticed about them all is that you see them all on or around horse trails... My compromise was to stay away from the horse trails. It makes the walking harder, and in some cases louder if you aren't vigilant, but you reap the rewards of selcusivness.

10ga.Trauma