OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Diamondwood vs Dymondwood vs Laminate

Started by Timmer, February 15, 2015, 01:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Forgive my ignorance.  What's the difference between Diamondwood, Dymondwood, and Laminate?  Aren't they all laminate?  Are Diamondwood and Dymondwood brands?  Perhaps Diamondwood is also misused for the category just like Kleenex and Vasoline?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

SS Calls

I assume Diamondwood and Dymondwood is the same with different spellings. It's spelled Dymondwood. Laminate is just the process of gluing multiple pieces of wood together. All laminates are certainly not equal. Dymondwood is created using a special formula that makes the woods used VERY hard. I've never seen another laminate that compared for strikers. JMO

callmakerman

mastevt

As said above, the two DW 's are variations of spelling.  As far as what sets it apart, from what I was told from a former employee of Rutland, is that when DW is laminated, it uses a proprietary resin, and it's put in a press, and heated in the oven.  This is what gives it, it's density and hardness.   There is another product out there called Spectra Ply.  It is similar.  That company that makes it, is a former employee from Rutland.  I don't know how many colors he makes, but I do know a lot of the colors bear the same name as Rutlands colors.  It is also not as hard.  Still Hard, but not as much.  Hope this helps clarify for you.    Scott.

callmakerman

I've used both the Dymondwood and Spectra ply for pot call strikers and the spectra ply doesn't even come close to be as good a product. I feel that it's to soft and the colors can run at least it has for me.

SS Calls

Same experience as Bill with the Spectra ply.

magnoliagamecalls

I have used both of the products Rutland made Dymondwood and Colorwood. Like mentioned Dymondwood is very dense and makes a great striker but not so good a pot. Now Colorwood on the other does not have the resins like Dymondwood but makes great strikers as well as pots. I believe it's the product that Blodgett Calls used many years back for their strikers and pots. I believe several big companies use it for their striker tops and some for strikers. I have never had Colorwood run while I have used it. I have used it for about 12 years now. I was told when I first started using it that Remington Arms was using it for some of their gunstocks. I don't know much about Spectraply. I haven't used it much.

Go to Rutland Plywood you can read about their products.