OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scratch box help

Started by shootalot523, February 14, 2015, 08:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootalot523

Just got a scratch box and can't make a damn sound. The few videos I saw are not clear or just not helpful. Does anyone have a good video on how to use one?

paboxcall

There are a couple techniques used to run a scratch box, and I prefer to hold the striker between the base of my left thumb and base of the two middle fingers of my left hand, and run the scratcher with my right hand (I'm right handed).  You can even "pinch" the upper corner of the scratcher with the index finger and thumb of the hand holding the striker, that gives the scratcher a pivot point across the striker, sort of like the screw in a box call.

The video below shows you how (the guy in the video is left handed by the way)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7iAlMDJzE
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

hunter22

I run a lot of different scratch boxes. The first thing to do with one is chalk the striker and then chalk the striker again. Also, some scratch boxes that have two lips will only play on one side. You will learn to make the sounds you want by the pressure and angle you run the box. Good luck. It is a deadly call.

shootalot523

Paboxcall. I like the pivot of index finger tip. Helped a lot. Now I know why more guys don't use these, they're hard to get the hang of. From hearing calls from experienced ballets, these things do make unbelievablly real sounds. I ll just keep playing with it!!!

callmakerman

Don't give up. Keep practicing it will be worth it in the end.

Kevin6Q

How thick or thin is the sound board?

mgm1955

drenalinld

Here is a close up video of how I run them. Not a lot of how to be clear close-up of running several. May or may not help. Sure think they are turkey myself.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=51182