OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting Tip: Is A Gobbler Responding to MY CALLING????

Started by bamagtrdude, February 14, 2015, 05:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

http://youtu.be/sPioEmpF9cg

Hey guys: Check out the video above...  You know, when I first started turkey hunting, I found it really tough to determine the following -- "Is the gobbler responding to ME & my calling??" 

Even now, many years & hunts later, sometimes I find it a little tough to determine that, *BUT* I do believe that there are certain calls that  you can issue in the woods to get a better (not 100% complete, but BETTER) determination of whether or not a gobbler is responding to you...  NOTE: you do NOT have to issue this call on a mouth call, as I demonstrated; it could be done on a box, slate, trumpet, pill bottle, whatever -- but it's the TYPE & RHYTHM of the call I demonstrate that matters here...

Try this out this coming spring & see if it doesn't help you some & let us all know...  If I have a gobbler that's gobbling pretty good, I ESPECIALLY LIKE to "cut him off" in the middle/tail-end of his gobble & HIT HIM with this particular call, esp the quick CUT-CUT-CUT--yeeeeLP YELP YELP sequence...  I just found that a gobbler who's relatively hot can get REAL HOT when he's got a HEN that's cutting him off; think about it, you're talking to a lady you're hitting on & then SHE GETS EXCITED and starts cutting you off in the middle of your sentences, very excitedly!

I think you see the point...   :icon_thumright:

Good luck, guys!!
BGD

PS. If I've done all my soft stuff, first thing in the morning & nothing's happened by 8-9am, I'll go from ridge-top to ridge-top (ie HIGHEST POINTS on your land) & do this excited cutt/yelp or cluck-yelp sequence to "locate" gobblers...  I have had MUCH SUCCESS doing that...  You DO NOT have to do a ton of it; just hit it a couple times (maybe 3 times) and then move on to the next ridge-top...  Direct/shower these calls down into multiple bottoms, off the ridge...  Turkeys can hear good; if they're wanting some action, they'll respond back to you and then it's all woodsmanship/maneuvering from there.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

bamagtrdude

http://youtu.be/lDVVtypmf6w

Billy Yargus is the guy that just won the GNCC calling contest at the NWTF show in Nashville this week; again, notice how he's got a gobbler gobbling, and he KEEPS CALLING & BREAKING INTO THE GOBBLE of the gobbler??  Very, very effective technique...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)