turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help

Started by Tbrady835, February 12, 2015, 05:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbrady835

I have wanted to make my own mouth calls for years I just have never knew anybody to ask how to get started. What is the best way to get my feet wet making my own mouth calls? Any advice is appreciated thanks

TRKYHTR

Start off with a hand jig. They are going to be the cheapest way and you can make some good consistent calls with them. Thad Bright makes a good one.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Tbrady835

Thanks a lot man, can you give me a materials list as well like latex, what makes the frames and what kind of tape do you use around the outside? I am totally new to this and don't even know the correct terminology

GobbleNut

Suggestion for getting started making mouth calls:
You can order materials needed from suppliers (Pioneer is one of them).
1)  Call frames (adhesive-backed) in standard  and small ...(youth/kids frames if you want them, too).
2)  Latex in proph, .003 (two or three colors,...natural, green, gray/black), .004 (a couple of colors,...natural, yellow),...thicker latex available, but not necessary.
3)  A couple of colors of tapes,...lots available.
Everything has minimum quantity orders.
You can get a jig from someone, but they are not necessary.  They have pro's and con's.
(I am not trying to sell you anything here, but if you want a starter kit with complete instructions on how to make calls, take a look at my kits in the turkey call classifieds)

Gooserbat

I would contact that at feather ridge and check on s hand jig, also visit with him about what is a good place to begin with supplies.  I would recommend ordering a very small quantity of every latex that is .003 or .004 from pioneer.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.