OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who shoots hevi through kicks chokes?

Started by TheSportsman, February 11, 2015, 08:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I know Charlie has a bad relationship with hevi but kicks makes very stout chokes! I recently ran a 3.5" mag blend through a .665 kicks in a benelli sbe. It didn't put up high numbers, 176 in a 10" at 40 but the poa/poi is dead on the money. It's also a beautiful hunting pattern. Very very even across the board. I believe it'd make a splendid hunting pattern.  What are your thoughts?

Ihuntoldschool

That constriction in a Kicks is rated for lead only and that is all I would shoot out of it if it were me. But sounds like a good pattern as long as you do not care about ruining your barrel or choke, go for it. One or two shots probably will not hurt but if you shoot enough of it the cumulative effect will take its toll.

SKFOOTER

Myself as well as several others on this forum have shot Hevi Shot thru Kicks chokes for years with no ill effects and have gotten great patterns. 

Gobble!

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on February 11, 2015, 08:17:31 PM
That constriction in a Kicks is rated for lead only and that is all I would shoot out of it if it were me. But sounds like a good pattern as long as you do not care about ruining your barrel or choke, go for it. One or two shots probably will not hurt but if you shoot enough of it the cumulative effect will take its toll.

Gotta agree. There are dozens of chokes that are hevi approved that will give you pattern just as good or better. I will never understand why some people like to take chances when it comes to guns. 

jordanz7935

I would use the magblends in my kicks .680 in my 935 without hesitation if they patterned well. 150s in the 10" @ 40yds but the patterns were patchy and never even or uniform for whatever reason.Could of been a bad lot number but im done playing that game with hevi.3&1/2" longbeard #5s do 170-180 in my setup and it is a nice even hunting pattern so that is my new load of choice. It sure put a hurting on the 1 gobbler i shot with that gun last year.

BowBendr

I would worry about it if the Kicks chokes were made from a lesser grade of steel than the rest of them, but they're not.

Charlie has something going with Winchester, always has.

Tens of thousands of Hevi rounds have been put thru a Kicks choke. They need to quit blowing smoke and stamp Hevi Approved on their chokes....

worth612000

When a choke splits and damages a barrel 99% of the time the gun manufactor is going to say it's the ammo or turkey chokes. I take it that the people who makes kicks chokes doesn't want any lip or liability in the issue. Can't blame them barrels are exspensive. Steel, hevi, heavy weigh and TSS would destroy a thin wall barrel if the wad doesn't do its job.

SKFOOTER

I have yet to hear of a Kick's choke being damaged by shooting any kind of HTL load. :OGturkeyhead:

BowBendr

Quote from: worth612000 on February 12, 2015, 02:22:38 AM
When a choke splits and damages a barrel 99% of the time the gun manufactor is going to say it's the ammo or turkey chokes. I take it that the people who makes kicks chokes doesn't want any lip or liability in the issue. Can't blame them barrels are exspensive. Steel, hevi, heavy weigh and TSS would destroy a thin wall barrel if the wad doesn't do its job.

Funny how they never mention the Federal HW's or Win. Xtended range...just Hevi...it isn't about liability....
Kicks chokes are built like tanks, never heard of one splitting, unlike other more expensive chokes.

yelpaholic

I have for ten years no problems...Guess i'm just one of the dumb risk takers.... heck of a pattern  though....

Rockhound

I've shot hevi, federal heavyweight, and tss through kicks chokes both factory and handloads with no problems.

Charlie will tell you that federal heavyweight are safe hevi and tss handloads are safe, and nitro are safe but hevi factory shells aren't if that tells you anything.

the Ward

I've shot win xtended range hd through a kicks .665 with no problems.

Longshanks

:z-guntootsmiley:
Quote from: the Ward on February 13, 2015, 07:19:09 AM
I've shot win xtended range hd through a kicks .665 with no problems.

The kicks folks told me Nitro, and Extended Range were fine through their chokes. They said Hevi 13 has a lack of filler which makes them more dangerous out of their chokes. I've shot Hevi 7's through a Kicks .655 with great patterns. Didn't shoot enough to know if it would damage it. Hadn't seen a kicks yet that was damaged. Seen a bunch of split Indian Creeks. They have great customer service though. Point is, all of this equipment can fail. Guess the best way to go about it is to decrease the chances of it happening as much as possible. I stopped running HTL through my Kicks chokes.