North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Reasonably priced brand of striker? Purple Heart and Diamondwood

Started by Timmer, February 11, 2015, 11:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hi gang,

I've been using the strikers that have come with my pot calls, but not of them are fancy.  I'v seen various threads on striker wood materials, and it would appear that Purple Heart and Diamondwood (is Diamondwood the same as Dymondwood?) are on the short list of top choices.  What I haven't seen much on are the recommended brands.  I'm sure there are a lot of individuals and small shops with great products.  I'm all for supporting the little guy but what I'm finding is spendy.  Admittedly, I've already broke the bank on accessories this year and need to limit my spending.  What reasonably priced brands might you recommend?  For example, Primos has these materials, would they be any good?

Side question, what's the functional difference between the standard rounded tips and the more mushroom shaped tips? 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

shaman

Look at my recent thread on strikers.

I got a diamondwood striker from customsawing.com for $8 . They have a Purpleheart for $7.

The diamondwood is awesome on my homebrew slate over glass. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Timmer

Quote from: shaman on February 11, 2015, 12:52:37 PM
Look at my recent thread on strikers.

Thanks, I'll look for it.  Search is having issues more often than not right now it seems.  Do you have a link?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

mastevt

Purple heart and Diamondwood are not the same.
PH is a true hardwood.
Diamondwood is manufactured by Rutland.  The plant burned down, and is no longer functioning and producing it.

that said, I make and sell DW strikers for $18.  Some say I'm too cheap, others say too much.  It is what it is.  Once it's gone, it's gone.  I doubt you will see Rutland in production for at least 7 years.

shaman

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer