OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pulling latex

Started by Bottomland, February 10, 2015, 08:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland

Got a question on pulling latex.  Im sure this has been discussed on previous threads but thought i would ask. Ive got one of Thads hand jigs and have figure out my best sounding call is around .180.  Am i in the correct tension range because i have watched some people use this hand jig in a couple videos and they are stretching a lot tighter than i am.  Is it just preference? Is there any correlation with the latex tension on a hand jig versus one of thads professional setups?

GobbleNut

If you are making calls for yourself, it really makes no difference what tension others put in their calls,...you want to make calls that work best for you.  The best thing you can do is experiment with different latex tensions and call designs until you hit on what works.

If you are making calls to give or sell to others, you have no idea what will work best for them, either, unless you sit down "one on one" with them and actually figure it out through experimentation. 

Another factor:  I have used lots of different calls from different makers, including my own, and I have yet to find a call maker that can make a mouth call that sounds exactly the same call to call.  The minute variables in the latex itself,...and in the call-making process,....make it impossible to achieve exact consistency in calls.  Combine that with the fact that every single mouth call user has some variation in technique and ability, and it is clear that trying to find an exact tension for latex stretch for each individual call user, and then making the exact same call every time, is a pipe dream. 

My opinion is that anybody that wants to be the best mouth call user they can possibly be must start making their own calls and go through the learning process of what will work best for them personally.  Of course, most mouth call users don't really care about whether they are great callers or not,...they just want to get to the stage where they can call turkeys,...and the fact is that the turkeys just aren't that particular. 

Gooserbat

Gobnt nailed it.  For ones self it only matters what you like.  As a call builder I believe I can kerp y consistency to s level to where all but the most stringent of callers will notice virtually no inconsistency, but Eben then an exact duplication is impossible.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.