News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting field turkeys

Started by northms, February 08, 2011, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbrhuntr

Quote from: bowhunter32 on February 09, 2011, 12:31:04 PM
Been huntin farm land turkeys exclusively for 7 yrs now..in no way does that make me an expert..but there r a few things I jab learned..1- farm land turkeys gobble very little once  off the roost..2- the use of a strutter decoy has helped exponentially..3- u have to wait them out.hunt along edges..or in the field if u have wood breaks...use yur deer huntin skills..pinch points..edges..last but not least..keep yur eyes open!! The big gobblers will most..isaid most Lilly sneak in on yur setup! Hope that helps and good luck..

I agree.

redleg06

Most of the areas I hunt are dealing with Big fields.  There's no real trick to it....just find out where they like to come into the field at and where they like to leave. 

Turkey are just like, deer, cows or any other animal in that they are going to try to take the path of least resistance a lot of times.

Another thing I tried for the first time last year on a bird that was roosting right beside a HUGE field then flying down out in the middle... I couldnt set up on him and was having fits.   I actually read somewhere about the miracle of turkeys walking right up to blinds and paying them no mind so I went and got out my pop-up blind from deer camp and walked out in the middle of that field at about 10:30 one night, set out a couple hen decoys and snuck back out.   When morning light came, i had been set up and in that blind for a while and guess what happened the next morning.... :z-guntootsmiley: :jackson:

That dude never knew what hit him.

BigHooks

redleg06 that's the best way I know how to setup field turkeys it works. A lot of hunters don't like blinds because they fell confind, that mite be true but that's the way I hunt. But I try to put the blind were I can exit it an go to the edge of the woodline an set up ahead of them if need be. I also use decoys a setting hen in front of jake, an one stand up, it's a killing combo. hope it helps ya...

nstrut

i had this big old boy he always had at least 1 hen with him and sometimes more and a jake or 2. i hunted him for 3 straight days and he would never come in from the middle of this large field.the 4th day i got there way before daybreak and set out 8 hens a strutter and a couple jakes.he entered the field messed around for a while he spied my set up left his hen and a jake. and came in on the dead run almost 300 yards. he ran right in the middle of my set up.i will never forget it. he stopped and the look he gave was darn i have been had.i all most let him walk..so after that when i hunt fields i use a bunch of hens and a strutter and jake