OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting field turkeys

Started by northms, February 08, 2011, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

The property I hunt has a lot of opens fields and draws to go along with hardwoods.  I was curious as to some of the tactics yall use on field turkeys?  They can sure be frustrating to hunt for me at times.  Just because you can see em doesn't mean you can get a setup on em.  

Plus if they're not talking I'm shy about getting up and moving too much before the foliage greens out for fear of bumping birds.  It happens every year.  ;D

Shotgun

My look on field turkeys is that they will leave that field sometime and It is my job to be looking down the gunbarrel as they do.

Crutch

Like Shotgun said, in the afternoon, they are going to roost. It was an amazing site watching them get worked up to go to roost one day last year and we were about 40 yards away.  After that first encounter, I had their number. One afternoon, while trying to get this old gobbler to come my way, a 2.5 yo bird came sneaking in. I think he didn't gobble so the boss gobbler wouldn't know what was up.  I got the boss a couple weeks later near the same spot. It wasn't roost time but close enough that he was going to find the hen before roost time. If there is a high spot on the field, you might get near that by mid morning and wait for lonely toms to strut where they can be seen far and wide.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

shootumindaface

Quote from: Shotgun on February 08, 2011, 10:34:42 PM
My look on field turkeys is that they will leave that field sometime and It is my job to be looking down the gunbarrel as they do.
X2 as the sun and temp rises they become woods turkeys

Duke0002

northms,

I hunt a similar spot as you describe.  I don't have permission to hunt the woods that surround the field.  So... I have to know the points where turkey enter/exit the field.  Good old observation skills are needed.

At my field I've identified 5 points where they naturally enter.  It could be a deer path, 4 wheeler path, tractor path, ground hog path, etc.  Entrances may be only 1-2 feet wide, but that's enough space for them.   Set up near these entrances.

Older gobblers are often reluctant to show themselves in an open field unless there are real hens to follow.  The older gobblers will walk just inside the woodline and strut/gobble.  If possible, set up where you can watch the inside of the woodline.   If a 4-W path or a deer path runs parallel to the field, that could be the ticket.  

If there aren't hens in the field the older gobs, if they do come out in the open, may make just a quick appearance for a look-see when they hear your calls.  Be ready to act fast.

I've found that the trick is to call hens into the field.  I use upright and feeding hen decoys almost exclusively in this field.  At most, one jake decoy.  

Be aware that birds may roost near the field and may catch you coming across the field in the morning to set up.  Put them to bed the night before you hunt to reduce your chances of getting busted.

At my spot, almost without exception, birds won't come into the field to feed until 9:30 or 10:30 am.   All birds taken at this place have been between 9:30 - noon.  Last year I took a nice gob at 11:55.  Birds entering the field right after flydown are usually moving to another area to feed, but will use the same entrances.

Short recap:  Set up inside the woodline at an entrance path where you can see 1) the field and 2) birds walking up to the field or just inside the woods.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

joshua

Scouting is key.  Find out what time the birds want to be there and be there waiting.  Turkeys are creatures of habit to a certain extent.  If I see him in a field at 9 one morning then there is a good chance he will be there the next day close to the same time.   :anim_25: this spring.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

northms

Jay

I've had mixed luck on field Turkeys, but have put some down using a Pretty Boy. Last time in Nebraska had 3 Toms sprint out of the woods across a road, and 100 yards uphill to our set up. Only 1 left. Couldn't get them off of land we couldn't hunt till we tried that approach. 

Ack

A lot of times they will be dusting on field edges, which is a great place to wait them out. The hens will come to dust during the mid-day hours and often bring the toms with them.

Nature's Echo Calls ProStaff

st4wheel

One prob. I have w fields are the ridge top fields. Usually on a ridgetop field the field crowns and the fall a little down hill to the woods.This makes it hard to setup around that field cause you cant see far at all and if u sit facing the field ur feet are up by your ears folded up like a lawn chair! LOL In a bottom field its the opposite cause the land is falling away towards to field making it perfect.
LIMBHANGER

bowhunter32

Been huntin farm land turkeys exclusively for 7 yrs now..in no way does that make me an expert..but there r a few things I jab learned..1- farm land turkeys gobble very little once  off the roost..2- the use of a strutter decoy has helped exponentially..3- u have to wait them out.hunt along edges..or in the field if u have wood breaks...use yur deer huntin skills..pinch points..edges..last but not least..keep yur eyes open!! The big gobblers will most..isaid most Lilly sneak in on yur setup! Hope that helps and good luck..

northms

Yea it's farm land where we hunt too.  I've noticed they shut up a lot of times off the roost too.

ClayW

Quote from: joshua on February 09, 2011, 12:29:06 AM
Scouting is key.  Find out what time the birds want to be there and be there waiting.  Turkeys are creatures of habit to a certain extent.  If I see him in a field at 9 one morning then there is a good chance he will be there the next day close to the same time.   :anim_25: this spring.

This

Scout, scout, and scout...keep track of their patterns and use the stats to your favor. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't work out right a way. Develop a plan based on your experience and stick to it.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Expressjet

Muskie03

My biggest tip for field birds is to roost'em. getting as close as you can when they fly down is the biggest key for me. but the first step to take is SCOUTING. if you know what he does you will kill him.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.