turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turning with carbide chisels

Started by markjm15, February 10, 2015, 11:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markjm15

Hey guys I am seriously considering ordering my first carbide tipped chisels. I am looking for a little feed back about what tools you guys use and if it is a considerable difference turning with carbide. What brands you guys have and cutting tip ect.. Fire away at me!

[/URL]
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

West Augusta

I use one with the round finishing bit.  They are nice.  You don't need to sharpen them when turning.  When it gets dull, just turn it a little.  They are expensive though.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mastevt

I have all 3 of those, from Rockler.  The mini ones.  Best move I ever did.  You won't be disappointed!  The only thing you need to be careful of is handling them.  What I mean is, if you drop them or hit the cutting tip on anything hard, you can chip the cuttter.  I got on ebay and found 1/8 wide carbide bits to do my pinstripe grooves, made a handle, and now have a 1/8 cutter and separation tool. 

Spur806

I have the round and the square mini ones, also don't over tighten the set screw that holds blades, they do work well though.

Gobbler2577

I have always preferred high speed steel tools, but I recently bought a carbide finisher and I can't believe how much better it is.  It is really the best money I've spent. 

Bob Palmer

I have all three as well! Took a little learning when I switched over...they are very sharp! They do seem to "chip" a lot though. And the square tends to grab on the sides! I blew up a few pot call pedistal before I realized what was happening.

M,Yingling

I have tried all three the only one I use is the round one ,,, look around lots cheap turning tools and vids how make your own handles heres wheir I get my cutters  http://eddiecastelin.com/cutters_only they don't last forever and do go dull depending the hardness of the wood your shaping ,,, get your self a set credit card sized diamond hones the cutter can be touched up few times
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey