turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard Question

Started by tonybforua, February 09, 2015, 09:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandedSpur

At 40 and in, it makes no difference at all. Both have more than enough pellet energy and pattern density to kill. We're not allowed to discuss beyond 40 yds on this site. But from my pattern testing, the 5s are going to run out of pattern density at about the same distance the 6s run out of pellet energy.

bigbird

If you don't want to punish yourself use the 3". My son is using those and even the #4's are patterning very well out of his winchester SXP using an IC tube. Good luck

WyoHunter

I've always liked 6's but have killed 'em 5's too. What ever patterns best in your gun is what I would shoot.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

BINK McCARTY

Ifn 40 yds is your ABSOLUTE max then go with #6....but what if yr in ideal conditions and a big ol gobbler sticks his head uo at 50+.....prolly still kill him but heres the pellets difference 2oz. of shot#5 has 340 ....2oz. of #6 shot has 450.....my advice shoot em both and pick the most consistent pattern....GOOD LUCK!!!!

mtns2hunt

I agree with the most consistent patten or even pattern with no holes to your effective range. I simply cannot see the sense of counting pellets. Am I missing something? My best Gobbler was 22lbs, one inch spurs and 10.5 beard this spring. Dropped at about thirty yards with BPS pump old model shooting only 3 inch shells with Long Beard # 4's. I shoot number 4's in case I need to make a longer shot. I tried to post a picture but kept getting an error. Just wondering if I am wrong in thinking too much attention is being paid to pellet count.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Ihuntoldschool

Mtns,   I agree with you as far as shooting the most consistent and even pattern.  I also do not count pellets, never have. If I cannot look at a pattern(s) and judge whether it will be a reliable, consistent turkey killing pattern(s) without getting out a tape measure, drawing a perfect circle, and counting every little hole in that circle, 3 times no less to make sure I get it right, then something is wrong with me. 

We both know that it only takes 1 pellet in the right place to kill the biggest gobbler around. More pellets in a given area just increase the probability of that 1 pellet striking a vital area, up to a point. However, to many pellets in a small area increases the probability of a miss, especially at closer ranges. I think mostly people just have fun trying different chokes, loads,barrel lengths, shotguns, shooting in different weather conditions trying to find that ultimate combination that will put up an incredibly high number of pellets in that magical circle that must be so important.

One thing you have to consider is today look at all the different turkey chokes and turkey loads that are available compared to years back when there were fewer or even none of either of them if you go back far enough.  Look at all the articles written suggesting that you need 50 pellets in the turkeys head or neck to kill him. All of this is great for selling turkey chokes and turkey loads. But, I personally want a good hunting pattern, not really as concerned about having a pattern that would win a still target competition. Turkeys move their heads, they are not nearly as stationary as those targets we shoot.

sixbird

I shoot 3" number 5 Longbeards...Those 3 1/2"...MY GOD!!! Why would you take that punishment???!!!
The three inch 5's will kill at 40, no problem, given a good pattern density out of your gun of course, and they'll have a little extra kick if you misjudge the yardage  some.
Most of your shots are going to likely be in close. 20-25-30 yds. so either 3" 5's or 6's will be WAY more than you need. The main problem with them, if you consider it a problem, is how tight they shoot in close (15 yds. and under). You better be "on" at those yardages!

mtns2hunt

I agree with you Ihuntoldschool. I guess I was venting too much. I just read so much on the forums that, in my opinion, is essentially not really useful to the novice hunter or really any hunter. I agree that their are many different loads and chokes on the market then yesterday. I do keep up with many of them such as the new LB which I have switched too.

But I see novice hunters getting into the sport reading stuff like you must have the newest and best shotgun. The best Turkey loads patterned to 200 pellets at 40 yards or you can kill a Turkey at 80 yards with the new loads if you feel it is an ethical distance. It is a wonder they ever kill a Turkey or do not become totally discouraged.

Best thing for a novice in my opinion is to get with an experienced Turkey hunter or hire a guide to see what it is like in the real world. I also agree with sixbird 3 inch is all you need to kill a turkey while enjoying the hunt and shot. Sometimes we just make our world too complicated.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

BINK McCARTY

As well as i've seen the Win L.B patterns go with #5s or even #4s... never can tell when u may have one hang up a lil further or misjudge distance.