OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard Question

Started by tonybforua, February 09, 2015, 09:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonybforua

If you had the to choose between 3.5 #5 or #6 longbeard which would you go with and why?  I know the 6s pattern a lot better because of more available shot in shell. But what would be furthest you would shoot with the 6s? Don't plan on shooting over 40 just curious if the 6s will do the job. Im fairly new to turkey hunting just trying to decide on 5s or 6s. Ive got a Mossberg 835 with a Indian Creek choke in the mail. Thanks!

Spring Music

Quote from: tonybforua on February 09, 2015, 09:54:50 AM
If you had the to choose between 3.5 #5 or #6 longbeard which would you go with and why?  I know the 6s pattern a lot better because of more available shot in shell. But what would be furthest you would shoot with the 6s? Don't plan on shooting over 40 just curious if the 6s will do the job. Im fairly new to turkey hunting just trying to decide on 5s or 6s. Ive got a Mossberg 835 with a Indian Creek choke in the mail. Thanks!

The highlighted is arbitrary at best. Turkey hunting is not a "see how far you can kill'em" sport. But for me, I don't shoot past 40 no matter and the vast majority have come within 20-25 yds..Used 6's for years and have never had a problem.. Any good "copper-plated" load will kill turkeys at 25-35 yd ranges, maybe a bit more...Here again, for me, I would use the 6's. They will carry enough energy at these distances to get the job done....Good luck to you this season..

tonybforua

I have no plans of shooting over 40. I guess I should have stated my question as would 6s do the  job inside 40 and just for my curiosity what is the ethical range of 6s? I have very little knowledge of what shot will do what being new to this. Just asking to make myself more know-ledgable on this topic. Thanks!

drum817

You'll be MORE than fine at that range shooting 6's....however...if you can't find 6's don't even hesitate to get some 5's they will crush a bird at 40 and under.  Either way you should be fine.  Best of luck!!!  :-)
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

tonybforua

Thanks for the info drum817. Cant wait for my IC choke to get here to see how it patterns. Kinda wish I would have bought a Truglo SSX now from what ive read online. Hope the IC does me well.

Ihuntoldschool

I like the 6's for pattern density. pattern will fail before penetration, but the 5's hold a pretty good pattern also. either one will do a fine job.

drum817

Quote from: tonybforua on February 09, 2015, 05:56:03 PM
Thanks for the info drum817. Cant wait for my IC choke to get here to see how it patterns. Kinda wish I would have bought a Truglo SSX now from what ive read online. Hope the IC does me well.

The IC will serve you well....plus it's made in the U.S.A. (ssx made in china).... Please let us know how it patterns!!!   :icon_thumright:

tonybforua

Will do. Going to convention this weekend. If I get back in time Im gonna run some threw it.

drum817

Quote from: tonybforua on February 09, 2015, 09:12:36 PM
Will do. Going to convention this weekend. If I get back in time Im gonna run some threw it.
.            Have fun at the convention!!!  Wish I was gonna be there!!!

bammerslammer 50

I bought a box of both to see what shot the best out of my gun. 6s won so I went and bought the rest my local gun store had left. I would suggest shot both and make your decision based on that.

DirtNap647

the 6's have more bb's but my gun shot the 5's tighter

ep427

I have never tried the 3.5 in. But with 3in #5s I was getting 172 to 175 in the 10 at 40. I have always shot the biggest shot I could get a good pattern with.

drum817

Quote from: ep427 on February 19, 2015, 08:47:57 AM
I have never tried the 3.5 in. But with 3in #5s I was getting 172 to 175 in the 10 at 40. I have always shot the biggest shot I could get a good pattern with.

What gun and choke are you using?

Twowithone

Im not a numbers guy either. But with my Winnie 1300 KGT 665 and Win LB # 6 shot turkey is going for a ride in my car at 40 yds. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

zelmo1

:drool: I am a bibber shot guy if it patterns well. I shoot 3.5 #5's. Al Baker