OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Trijicon RMR Reflection Concerns! Your Opinion Please.

Started by Sako358, May 17, 2014, 12:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sako358

Hi Guys,
First I would like to thank you in advance for your comments on the subject I am about to discuss.
I mounted a Trijicon RMR on my Benelli Super Black Eagle two years ago.  I have been extremely pleased with it.  However, in the last two seasons, I have had what I consider several "Unexplained" retreats from Gobblers inside 50 yards.  I'm not talking hang ups or Putts and leave.  I'm talking about Safety OFF, gun pointed in the direction and NO more calling, just waiting for the old blue head to show.  Just PUFF they are gone and don't say a word after they leave.  My first take is something spooked them.
Now, I do not pretend to be the best Gobbler Chaser in the world.  But, at 62, this is not my first rodeo either. 
So I am asking here if you guys think what I am about to show you could / has spooked my gobblers off.
Please do not start a new tread on all the possibilities of what spooks gobblers.  I have been there and done that a thousand times in bed at night! <G>
The 8 photos I am posting here show a Reflection coming off my RMR.  Please take a look and see if you think this is the problem. 
Trijicon has an accessory to resolve the reflection issue. I attached it in the last Photo.
Run & Gun: Benelli SBE 2, Trijicon RMR, IC .710, Hevi 13 #5 Zero 30 yds
Blind Gun:  Benelli SBE 2, Leupold 1.5x5 Circle Dot, Trulock .665, Federal HW #5 Zero 40 yds
Field Gun: Benelli Super Nova, Leupold 6x42, Harris Bipod, IC .670, Federal HW #5 Zero 50 yds

Sako358

Blind Gun:  Benelli SBE 2, Leupold 1.5x5 Circle Dot, Trulock .665, Federal HW #5 Zero 40 yds
Field Gun: Benelli Super Nova, Leupold 6x42, Harris Bipod, IC .670, Federal HW #5 Zero 50 yds

Sako358

DirtNap647

I got to admit that could be a problem and now you got me thinking about my ff...just took it outside set it down and it to has them reflecting  effects

alloutdoors

This has been brought up several times about the Fastfire sights, and I personally think most people dismissed it too readily. I was patterning my gun one evening shooting toward the setting sun with the sun relatively low in the sky. I left the gun on the bench and went to check a target and when I turned around the glare on the sight was like someone shining a bright flashlight right at my eyes. It wasn't just something a little shiny, it was like someone using a signal mirror to direct the sunlight right back at your face. I taped over the front of the rain cover that comes with the Fastfire and keep it on the sight if I am set up where the sun is anywhere to my front. As long as you shoot with both eyes open you can completely cover the front of the sight and not really notice any difference.

d.winsor

Most definitely if it is a reflection from the sight.  I use to use a aim point scope and it would do the same only in low light and sunny conditions, I made a flipper that I could raise with my thumb to expose the front lens.  Every time the tom would raise their head, I would shoot them.  My aim point crapped out and I got a Fastfire 3, I'm hoping it won't do it.

ericjames

I noticed this on my ff3 so what I did was take a old mesh face mask and cut a piece to go in front of the rain guard and use some camo skin tape to hold it in place, I actually used the tape to camo the whole guard. It worked perfect for me.

Sako358

Thank you all for your responses.  You were unanimous in believing the reflection from my sight would spook gobblers, confirming my suspicion.
Trijicon has an accessory to resolve this issue.  It is called "killFlash".  AC31015: RMR Tenebraex® ARD - Dual Illuminated
I ordered one the first day I returned from my hunting trip.  It arrived late last week.  I have played with it in the back yard and I am very pleased. It totally eliminates all reflection and seems sturdy.  It does however reduce the amount of light through the sight, but not enough to cause concerns.
I wish I had bought one two years ago.
Here are a few photos to give you an idea what it looks like.
FYI the decoy photo is at 20 yards.
:fud:    :newmascot:

DirtNap647

Sako358

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 19, 2014, 06:00:42 PM
Would this work on a fastfire

Hi Dirt Nap, 
I don't know much about Fastfire.  Lens size etc.  But I would think the concept would work if you had a way to mount it in place.
It is just a "honey comb" lens cover.  I have seen anti-reflecting lens covers like this for Military Rifle scopes.
Good luck.
:fud: :newmascot:

Sako358

Quote from: Trap4fur on May 17, 2014, 07:38:09 PM
How do you like the dual rmr any issues in early am with it not being brite enough

Hi Trap4fur,
I have not seen any problems in the early am.  I think that is where the "tritium" comes in.  The only Gobbler I killed with this set-up was at 6:40 am last year.  I think Sun Rise was around then.  It was still pretty dark.

:fud: :newmascot:

ncturkey

Quote from: Sako358 on May 19, 2014, 03:30:18 PM
Thank you all for your responses.  You were unanimous in believing the reflection from my sight would spook gobblers, confirming my suspicion.
Trijicon has an accessory to resolve this issue.  It is called "killFlash".  AC31015: RMR Tenebraex® ARD - Dual Illuminated
I ordered one the first day I returned from my hunting trip.  It arrived late last week.  I have played with it in the back yard and I am very pleased. It totally eliminates all reflection and seems sturdy.  It does however reduce the amount of light through the sight, but not enough to cause concerns.
I wish I had bought one two years ago.
Here are a few photos to give you an idea what it looks like.
FYI the decoy photo is at 20 yards.
:fud:    :newmascot:

Nice setup.