OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Strikers

Started by shaman, January 26, 2015, 10:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpaholic

I've bought several custom strikers..... it is hard to beat the one that comes with the crystal mistress 2 piece diamondwood I think

packmule

I think you need at a minimum of 3 strikers....black locust and dymondwood would be hard to keep off the list.  After that I'd say add a carbon fiber striker like Mike Yingling makes...it sounds great on all surfaces I have and it works in wet weather.

I don't think there's any magic to the striker tip, they seem to all run good on my calls.  The flare tip may give you a little extra calling between conditioning sessions since it is bigger. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

West Augusta

Quote from: shaman on January 27, 2015, 01:17:30 PM
Quote from: West Augusta on January 27, 2015, 08:39:07 AM
Quote from: shaman on January 27, 2015, 08:30:06 AM
Some of these are wholly new to me.  Where do y'all get the original dowel stock?

Mine are all one piece.

Is there a functional difference or just style?  I'm asking, because I don't know.  Is there a benefit to one piece versus two? 

And while we're on the subject, I have another question for y'all:  I see a lot of custom turned strikers out there with flaired or bulbous tips.   Most of the tips I've seen in the past were either straight or rounded off.  When I did my first batch I took off the sharp edge by running them in a pencil sharpener before final sanding.   What's the difference?

Flared tipped strikers are supposed to be easier to run.  I prefer a straight tip.  The difference between a one piece versus two?  I can't tell you.  The question was about dowel rods.  I don't buy dowel rods and glue them in a handle.  I turn the whole thing.  I have heard that if the dowel rod isn't completely seated in the head of a two piece striker it can deaden the sound. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Triple B

Lyman Snakewood,and West Augusta Dymondwood.But I certainly wouldn't leave home without my RP Persimmon, Oak,and Dogwood strikers as well,especially if I'm on a slate pot first thing.
A good friend on the forum made me several truly handmade strikers of different woods.They are all top notch,and going to be killers for sure.I have some friends here that really know their woods,and that has helped me understand the tonal qualities of woods that I had not used in the past.
I have always been amazed what alot of you fellas are capable of building.I see the calls and strikers everyday,amd my hat is off to you.... :icon_thumright:

shaman

I was browsing the list at customsawing.com and came across the following 5/16" dowels:

Persimmon
Osage Orange
BloodWood
Cherry

as well as a fully finished diamondwood striker.

The latter cost more than the other 4 combined, but I figured it was worth a try.  The package arrived Friday night, and I was sanding, varnishing, and gluing until this morning.  They're nothing to look at, but I figured I'd make prototypes and see how they do.  I'm still on the lookout for the others.

Here is the result:

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Triple B

Shaman,I would beg to differ with your opinion on the look of your work.I would say your strikers are coming along very nicely.Good job...

mgm1955

shaman

Shucks! T'wern't nothin'.

But I will tell y'all about something:  I had my calls out on the table by my chair.  I have a granddaughter, Mooselette, who turns 3 today, and she came over with Moose and MooseMama for a birthday/SuperBowl  party.    She spied the calls, and forgot all about her presents.  She actually did passably well on one of my home brew slates with the new osage orange striker.  We spent the whole night practicing calls together, pausing only briefly for a family Play-Doh party at the kitchen table. 

I think I'm going to have me a turkey hunter!

shaman

ha

I hate to sound like a dunce, but I'll be a bigger one if I don't ask the question.  I know the one on the far right is Diamondwood.  However, I have to ask you all to help me identify the other 4.

Here are the choices again:

Osage Orange
Cherry
Persimmon
Bloodwood

When the strikers came, the dowels were banded together with no ID. 

I'll go first so I show off my ignorance. My vote  (L to R)

1) Osage Orange
2) Bloodwood
3) Cherry
4) Persimmon

M,Yingling

from left I would say

osage ,,,, looks like purple heart ha ha  ,,,blood wood ,,cherry ,,,
them 2 piece striker don't be afraid to put little weight in the heads before putting rods in some times ill run dry wall screws in thur hole for little weight

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

shaman

Thanks.  So as far as you're concerned, I guessed right? 
Cool.

pauld

I have a 3 piece from Mr Harold Fowler, top is bubinga, carbon shaft and Australian boloki tip. You would be hard pressed to get me to part with it and if you did it wouldn't be for less than a C note. Ran it on one of my ceramics at a show and every head turned. I sold out of ceramics and I think he sold several more of those strikers too. :) not to mention he is just a great man with amazing talents. I truly admire his work.

ncturkey

I a lot of different custom strikers. Ebony,Goncola Alves, Persimmon, and Tulipwood to name some of my favorites. But my most favorite is a special one of a kind laminated striker. It is made from Ebony,walnut,Paduck and Goncola Alves. It sounds awesome on about any calling surface.