turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Strikers

Started by shaman, January 26, 2015, 10:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

I've been thinking of building a matched set of strikers for my pot calls.  When I'm done, I'll do up a set for everyone in the tribe as a gift.

I know hickory and purple heart are going to be at the top of the list.  My question to you all is this:  If you were to pick a set of strikers for all your pots and you could pick the number and composition of that set, what would it be?

Second question:  Is there any magic in the striker's top?  Is there anything y'all prefer in the top of the striker?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

West Augusta

My personal favorites are Black Locust and Dymondwood.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

callmakerman

For me it's snakewood and dymondwood. Sankewood is not cheap but it's well worth it.

ridgerunner

Jbird22

Right now it would be Purpleheart and Cherry. Cherry might seem a bit of an oddball pick to some but if you ever ran one on a Yingling copper you'd understand. Right Rickey?

West Augusta

Cherry is a good all around striker. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mgm1955

Snakewood and dymondwood or black locust

M,Yingling

iam going to throw out blood wood and red heart with the above
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mastevt

I carry only Diamondwood strikers with me while hunting.  Purple heart and hickory would be a good second choice.

ky turkey hunter

shaman

Some of these are wholly new to me.  Where do y'all get the original dowel stock?

West Augusta

Quote from: shaman on January 27, 2015, 08:30:06 AM
Some of these are wholly new to me.  Where do y'all get the original dowel stock?

Mine are all one piece. 

Idratherb

snakewood, macassar ebony,rosewoods,dymondwood, apitong etc etc strikers can become an obsession just like buying calls be careful

shaman

Quote from: West Augusta on January 27, 2015, 08:39:07 AM
Quote from: shaman on January 27, 2015, 08:30:06 AM

Mine are all one piece.

Is there a functional difference or just style?  I'm asking, because I don't know.  Is there a benefit to one piece versus two? 

And while we're on the subject, I have another question for y'all:  I see a lot of custom turned strikers out there with flaired or bulbous tips.   Most of the tips I've seen in the past were either straight or rounded off.  When I did my first batch I took off the sharp edge by running them in a pencil sharpener before final sanding.   What's the difference?

Jbird22

It's all personal preference really. I tend to prefer a flared tip, one-piece striker but I also have a few rounded tip (non-flared tip), two-piece strikers that are awesome as well. It's just a matter of trying several until you find what suits you.