OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal Mag Shok Flite control

Started by brandoncoant, January 23, 2015, 06:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandoncoant

Anyone have any luck with Federal mag shok with the flite control? Only interested in the standard lead load (not heavyweight).I plan on shooting them out of a stoeger m3500 in 3 1/2 inch #5 or #6 shot. Also plan on buying a sumtoy custom choke tube. I have been told to shoot long beard xr with a sumtoy .650. Sounds kind of dumb,but I've recently had long conversations about turkey hunting and the Federal loads with a good friend and coworker who was killed in a car accident last week. I am a very sentimental person and would really like to bag a bird this year with the Federal loads for my friend Dennis. Any help would be appreciated.

Snoodsniper

They pattern great for me through a .665 choke but I'm shooting a browning not a Stoeger. Someone here will help more with that. I can appreciate the tribute to a lost friend. Pm me your address and I'll send you a box of #5's.

Snoodsniper

FYI post in the turkey gun forum. You will get more response.

surehuntsalot

you just have to play with them and see what you can get with them.
I have a 3" 1100 with 30" full choke barrel that simply put just loves these shells
I can put a .710 full choke tube in my 835 and get great hunting patterns with the 6,5, or 4 shot
a lot of guys don't like these shells, but I don't have no problems with them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

fsu33952

I have killed a truckload of turkeys with federal shells of all kinds. I started shooting the federal premiums when the came out with the 3inch with 2ozs of sixes. I think the wads were different then.they had 7.5 too and they were good. I shoot a 670 tempest pure gold without the ports sometimes, but it shoots super tight. I mean like 200 plus plus pellets in a paper plate at 40 yards. If you not careful you will miss them close. I missed one last year at 20 steps so I have went back to a Carlson full. I have killed turkeys with the federal prairie storms as well. I would not be afraid to shoot a turkey with any federal shells. I see a lot of folks complain about the flight control wad. I don't see what the problem is with them.

fsu33952

I would pattern a regular full with those flite controls before I shelled out a bunch of cash on that choke. You might be surprised at what you get.

fsu33952

I forgot to tell you that if I were you I would clean the barrel very good. It really can make a big difference. In a pattern. I also shoot a 30 inch barrel and think that makes a difference.

10gaugemag

I have shot them through at least 4 guns and since they came out and have had excellent results from all guns. Sometimes shooting them through a regular full and other times through a turkey tube. I will say that in my 2 Brownings and a Winchester SX2 the 4's always out shoot the 5's, don't know if the overbored barrel like the larger shot or what.
A buddy of mine shoots the 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz. #4 out of his SX2 with a XXX Comp-n-Choke and gets simply amazing patterns. Grab some and try them, you may get patterns from a regular full that will be fine for your style of hunting or if you hunt where ranges can be a bit longish you may want to try something in the .675 range, not too tight for close shots but may get you another 5-10 yards on a hung up bird.

Lucky Clucker

I shoot them in my New England 3.5 with a fixed full choke.I got some 5 shot 3 inch loads, they shoot great and kill good out to 40 yards.I use the heavy weight 7 mostly but like the 5 shot for when it greens up and you cannot shoot far.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

357MAGNOLE

Glad this got brought back up. Thinking about trying some of the 20 gauge 3" #6's
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

surehuntsalot

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 28, 2016, 11:53:04 PM
Glad this got brought back up. Thinking about trying some of the 20 gauge 3" #6's

a few years back I used the Federal 20ga 3" #6 load all season long, the birds never knew that it was just plain old lead shot that done them in

357MAGNOLE

I tried out the 5's today since my local Wally had them. They work great up to about 30 but the pattern drops way off after that. Then again I didn't clean my barrel at all because I forgot to bring that gear to the range. So I had about 25 shots through when I "tested" them. I would be confident using them to 25 all day. At 40 yards I only had 6 hits within a 3" circle. Would still work but would require some luck too!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Bowguy

I've patterned them in kids guns to 35 yards n was very impressed. Id not hesitate to try em but first Id check the pattern your gun throws. Oh n one gun used only the factory full another a mod. Both threw killing patterns.

turkeykiller41

What kind of numbers did you get with the 6s surehuntalot.

surehuntsalot