Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

GUN TIP: "Quick Pattern" Your Gun

Started by bamagtrdude, January 23, 2015, 12:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

http://www.remington.com/product-families/ammunition/shotgun-families/turkey-loads.aspx

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/daniel-zimmerman/ammo-review-winchester-long-beard-xr-turkey-loads/

YEARS BEFORE Old Gobbler existed & folks obsessed about shotguns, chokes, and ammo ONLINE, a few gobblers each year managed to lose their lives to hunters in the woods...  Now I know a few of you might find that hard to believe, but ...  they did!  ;)  I was reminded about the "simplistic days" of turkey hunting by a colleague that STILL, to this day, hunts with his grand-father's old Browning shotgun, NO TURKEY CHOKE, and shoots heavy dove loads -- and kills turkeys regularly!!

If you've got a bunch of thoughts & doubts swirling in your head about your gun (which one?), the choke tube (which to get?), patterning, etc...  I'd recommend -- just take a deep breath, go out & buy some Remington Nitro's and/or Winchester Longbeards (why?  they're the cheapest ammo out there!!) and run 'em both through your gun w/the factory Extra-Full turkey choke tube & see which shell patterns the best.

How far to setup, shoot & pattern your gun?  This might surprise y'all, but RARELY have I ever patterned my gun past 30 yards, only every now & then will I shoot/pattern @ 40 yards.  Why??  Cause a longer shot is FAR FAR FAR less effective...  I've probably had 50/50 results from shooting past 30 yards at a gobbler; just being honest with you...  My experiences in the woods have told me, if he's willing to come 40 yards, *UNLESS YOU MOVE AND/OR DO SOMETHING DUMB*, he's gonna come 30 yards into your setup....  WAIT, let him get to 30 yards, and blast him....  [Editor's Note: Sometimes I'm STONE COLD SILENT during the wait, sometimes I issue a little "yelp yelp" during the wait -- ALL ABOUT THE BIRD & what he's wanting to do; usually if he STOPS, I'll give him a little bit; if he's steadily on the move, SHUT UP!]

PATIENCE is one of THE HARDEST skills you will ever develop, but in the turkey woods, NOT FREAKIN' OUT & hanging tough in there & letting the bird "work" his way on into your setup, is a skill you MUST develop...  & it's developed, unfortunately, through "experience" -- sometimes GOOD, sometimes BAD...

Back to patterning -- *IF* you can find a gun shop that sells you shells individually, that's another very cost-effective way to pattern your gun, with different types of ammo.  But, if you're wondering what to use, try those 2 ammo's above & see what happens.  This method won't break the bank, and you might be REAL surprised to learn that your gun LOVES cheap ammo w/the stock choke tube. 
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

bamagtrdude

BTW, guys -- just got myself a new turkey gun, a Remington 870 ShurShot pump w/the Wingmaster HD choke tube (670 or 675 constriction, depending on who you ask)...  Shot it with Long Beard XR's #6 3.5" shells @ 30 & 40 and boo-yah, good enough to kill one!!

So, I *DO* practice what I preach...
---

Big Treble

Bama,

Thanks for all your tips, hints and ideas. I heed your words and they are greatly appreciated.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Big Treble on February 19, 2015, 09:01:35 AM
Bama,
Thanks for all your tips, hints and ideas. I heed your words and they are greatly appreciated.

You're welcome, man!!

BGD
---