Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

HUNTING TIP: Bump Less Birds

Started by bamagtrdude, January 23, 2015, 12:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Hey guys, just throwing out some "wisdom" for y'all this coming season, and thought of another great tip that REALLY helped me bump less birds.

It involves two things:

1) GREAT BINOS: If you don't own a GREAT set of bino's (here's some that I consider "great" -- http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7238-Extreme-Terrain-Binoculars/dp/B0001HKIJK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418740018&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+action+extreme), you need to REALLY consider getting an awesome pair & wearing them out this season.  A really GREAT pair of bino's can actually help you see thru brush/grass/grah-DOO & see red/white/blue noggins off in the distance.  Learning to be SMART about glassing *BEFORE* you go around corners, walk up into a pasture/opening, crest a hilltop, etc. will result in MUCH less birds bumped by YOU during the season.

2) BODY CHECK CALLING: As I'm walking the logging roads on my property, there are many hills & valleys, and curves in the roads.  Before I ever just blindly go around a curve, top a hill, etc. I generally ALWAYS issue a soft, little "yelp yelp yelp" with my mouth call.  NOTHING LOUD -- but just something to "body check" a gobbler that *might* be walking in the middle of the road.  If he gobbles & is CLOSE TO YOU, GET TO THE NEAREST TREE, get your gun up, face mask up, & repeat the soft 3 yelp deal again.  If he's far off, then move in towards him as stealth as possible & repeat the 3 soft yelp sequence, camo'ed up, against the tree, gun up ready to blast.

Try this 2 tips out this coming season & see if you bump FAR less birds this year.

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Big Treble

Awesome tip love the # 2 idea.

As a add on to your binocular tip, better quality binos with larger objectives will gather light in the pre dawn hours, enabling you to have better vision earlier.

kevin2

I've got the Nikons, and last season I went on a quest to lighten up my vest and bought a Vortex Solo 8x36 Monocular to try out as a replacement to my binos. Really lightened the load & I found myself bringing them on most deer and turkey hunts.

I am not the authority on Turkey hunting, that is for sure, but I do like these monoculars. Perfect? No. But, they are a good when attempting to lighten things up.

With that said, I'm going to try to take other unnecessary items out of the vest this season and stash the full Binos in it again. We shall see how it plays out!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!