turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weapon Setup

Started by JuniorPre 360, January 19, 2015, 08:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniorPre 360

Just interested in what everyone has to go out and kill turkeys. I'll start. I have a Max4 Stoeger M3500 with a Primos JellyHead choke tube. I patterned with the Winchester LongBeard and got awesome results. I'm ordering a pistol grip stock soon.

Big Treble

DIY camo'ed 870 26" barrel, truglo sights, kicks choke tube and 3" longbeards, providing of course this combo patterns well.

Bigeclipse

im using a Beretta pintail 24 inch barrel, 3inch shells.  I have 4 chokes but have only patterned with two.  So far the hevi choke patterns with longbeard #5s excellent out to 50 yards but will keep shots at 40yards.  This way if the turkey is really at 45, I will still get a good hit.
New for this year I will be hunting with a burris fastfire III.  I have used red dots on pistols with great success so I feel this will work well for me.

Full disclosure: I bagged a hen during fall this past year but I don't count her as a turkey kill because I was actually bow hunting for deer and she just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

bamagtrdude

Stoeger M2000 w/Primos Tight Wad & "blended" turkey shells.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

GomerPyle

last year I carried a Stoeger 3500, 28" barrel with a Primos tightwad and magblends.  got good patterns out of it but it's just a heavy gun.

This year I'll be toting a Winchester 1300, 22" barrel and I'm going to start with the tightwad/magblend combo and see how it performs.  I'm about to order a pistol grip stock for it as well, plus the Williams Fire Sights.

that Winchester is a full 3 pounds lighter than the stoeger
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

kevin2

Mathews Chill 70lbs bow, set to 58lbs for hunting. Will try once again to get my Gobbler with this in a blind set up near Gobblers morning hang out. If they move on OR get hung up, then I'll have my Stoeger 12G with Long Beard #6s ready to go. Already patterned this gun with my new burris FastFire lll. Seems like a sweet set up. WE shall see!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

ScottS

M2000 max4 stoeger with 26 inch barrel, carlsons turkey choke, and 3 inch #6 remington turkey loads.

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: ScottS on January 20, 2015, 02:10:47 PM
M2000 max4 stoeger with 26 inch barrel, carlsons turkey choke, and 3 inch #6 remington turkey loads.
Carlsons make the best waterfowl choke in my opinion. I was unaware that they made a turkey choke. I'm sure it's awesome.

Efey

66lb Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo
ABB Platinum strings/cables
Spot hogg hogg father single pin sights
10" bee stinger stabilizer
QAD HDX rest

I do have a beretta a400 that I use for ducks but I really want to bag my first bird with my bow.

ScottS

Quote from: JuniorPre 360 on January 21, 2015, 12:44:54 PM
Quote from: ScottS on January 20, 2015, 02:10:47 PM
Carlsons make the best waterfowl choke in my opinion. I was unaware that they made a turkey choke. I'm sure it's awesome.

I love it and the good thing about carlsons is they don't break the bank like some of the other brands but they still perform well. I bought mine probably four years ago.

mason3toes

20ga 21'' 870, homebrew camo, sureshot stock,  polished barrel, trs25 red dot, ssx choke, throwing HW 7's.

kevin2

How do you like your Spot hogg hogg father single?

Quote from: Efey on January 21, 2015, 12:48:32 PM
66lb Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo
ABB Platinum strings/cables
Spot hogg hogg father single pin sights
10" bee stinger stabilizer
QAD HDX rest

I do have a beretta a400 that I use for ducks but I really want to bag my first bird with my bow.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

GomerPyle

So I finally gave my old Winchester 1300 a makeover....added the Phoenix Technologies stock and a set of Williams Fire Sights.  I'm also thinking about adding a Mossy Oak Bottomland tape kit until I can save up some cash to have it dipped.  Here's the before/after.

[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

Big Treble

Looks good Gomer, now camo that bad boy up

Bigeclipse

My burris fastfire III just came in. Definitely seems nice so far. I'll sight it in this weekend. Definitely getting more excited the closer we get to May 1st!!!