turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Diffusing?Debunking the "Long Range" Marketing Hype

Started by decoykrvr, January 18, 2015, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

The NWTF National Convention is in Nashville next month and numerous local NWTF Chapters are soon holding their 2015 banquets.  It is imperative that the "new" current marketing hype about the "long range" killing ability of several manufacturers turkey loads be both diffused and debunked.  We all owe it to our sport to educate as many turkey hunters as we can about the gross misinformation and outlandish claims which are currently being promoted and advertised.  As ethical hunters we all need to express our displeasure to the manufacturers marketing staff, representatives and sales agents in person and via letters, E-Mails and telephone calls.  This entire myth that "60 yards is the new killing range for turkeys"  needs to be stopped before it gathers further traction/media attention, and the best way is for ethical turkey hunters to express their outrage and displeasure.  If the manufacturers and their marketing staff get sufficient "negative comments and publicity" they will listen and perhaps retool their marketing strategies.

Big Treble

As a newbie, I think it's pretty well known 40 yards(or less due to your gun/load setup), is max.

With that said I don't think anything will stop any manufacture from implying that have a edge over the competition. It's mostly their marketing department versus their R&d department. 

I hope most hunters would understand that while it's certainly likely that it could be done. "Likely" is not an ethical decision or shot.

But I agree if some idiot sees that hype, they might try, but that poor decision  would likely come after other poor decisions, and that type of hunter may not get an opportunity to shoot or even wound a bird if he/she did.

Longshanks

Contact the chapter presidents and organize a meeting, or webinar,  and see if the NWTF will support speaking out against long range shooting. If they will support the effort there are many ways to proceed. They could put commercials on the hunting channels if they really want to get behind protecting the sport of hunting the wild turkey. The only way to get any company's attention is to stop buying their products. Something tells me Winchester and Environmental Metals are not going to see a drop in sales at this point. Their marketing is misleading but they have some of the best shells on the market. Educating hunters might be the best approach.

dirt road ninja

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 18, 2015, 03:26:29 PM
WHAT!!! My magblends are NOT good at 70 yards!!! :z-dizzy:

Who would have ever thunk it dirt ninja!! ????

I agree the marketing is terrible and for some it's become all about killing and not the whole experience!   I really like the new Winchester shells but I also know the appropriate distance at taking a gobbler....unfortunately there is some that are clueless.   I wish you the best in your efforts!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Longshanks

Although it seems elementary for experienced turkey hunters there are hunters on this very website out there shooting 50-70 yds. Education could start right here and at your local hunting camps and leases. Just don't think enough hunters are willing to step up and confront other hunters.

Tbrady835

In winchesters defense the box says nothing of killing turkey's at sixty yards only that you will have twice the pellets in a ten inch circle out to 60 yards but I agree they should have worded it differently

bbcoach

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 18, 2015, 05:25:12 PM
In winchesters defense the box says nothing of killing turkey's at sixty yards only that you will have twice the pellets in a ten inch circle out to 60 yards but I agree they should have worded it differently
No, the Drury brothers take care of that on their show.  Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfPBAqOMajQ

turkey buster

I know the rules of Ford vs Chevy on here, but I'm glad someone called Hevi out.
First let me say I DO NOT condone 50-75 yard shots. Personally I kill most of mine 20 and in.
However it seems to me that the Hevi "cult" have ran down the LB's so much on here with "lead is lead", and you get what you pay for "$30 for 5 shells" that its time for fair to be fair.
It doesn't take 3.5 inch shells full of Hevi to kill turkeys if you will limit yourself. Just like bows and deer if you can't group 40 yards doesn't mean its ok to shoot deer that far even if you have a PSE and rage broad heads.
Now Hevi makes a great load and I've killed birds with them so I don't need the Hevi faithful to "educate" me on here. But I do know that ever bird I've killed with Hevi could've been killed with lead.
So while we are bashing Winchester for making dubious marketing claims, let's remember Hevi started it!

Tbrady835

Yeah those drury brothers are something on there man they should have been more conservative with their support of the product

grayfox

I think it's not so much about whether a shell can kill a turkey at 60, 70, 100 yards or whatever.  With the chokes & shells we have today you can make ethical kills farther than the old 40 yard max rule we've used for years.  Most everybody knows that's a fact.  But I still don't promote doing it because I think it takes away from the sport of what turkey hunting is all about, calling them in as close as you can.  I don't think companies should promote shooting them at long ranges even if their shells are capable of killing a turkey at 300 yards with a .410.  In my opinion it's just bad for the sport of turkey hunting.  Putting pressure on the companies that promote this is a good idea.  Don't want to give novice turkey hunters the idea to shoot at a turkey 60 yds.

SCGobbler

NWTF Jakes magazine a few months ago had the new Winchester advertised on the back and I was really upset.  Kids don't need to learn a bad habit.  60 yards is too far for an adult, much less a child.

Sent from The Gobbler's Roost using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Tail Feathers

I won't knock another hunter who is legally taking turkeys at longer ranges and making instant one shot kills.  I may disagree with it and teach otherwise, but if it's legal and they can kill cleanly, the only person they are cheating is themselves...out of the thrill of turkey hunting close up.  There will be those who try to push it too far and wound birds, but there probably always have been.

I will pass along to the new hunters I bring to the sport that turkey hunting is best done as a close range sport.  The thrill of fooling that old tom and getting him in to "knock your hat off when he gobbles" range is worth the effort. 

I've seen a TV show that's all about extreme long range shooting.  They shoot animals at ranges from 600-1000 yards.  I'm not wild about that either but if they can make clean kills, it's not my job to police their style of hunting.  I realize that kind of shooting requires it's own set of considerable skills that I don't really have, but it's not to my taste.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Longshanks

That seems to be a popular argument these days. "If it's legal then it's fine." The only problem with is that it leaves out ethics. This has become a problem not with just shooting but , respecting wildlife ,other hunters, and other peoples property.   Long range with a rifle and long range with a shotgun are two different things. I have a friend that's a former sniper and shooting 1000 under the right conditions is a piece of cake. He doesn't, however, go out shooting turkey's 60-70 yds with a shotgun . In the hunting community if we just go with what's legal, most people wouldn't even hunt on a place where that is the only requirement. Game management and ethical practices have developed properties throughout the country into incredible places to experience the outdoors. It's a shame that it is difficult to get people to advocate for that. If Turkey hunters and the NWTF don't make a stand against long range shooting then it probably won't happen. Folks will be allowed to shoot rifles in the not too far away future. That'll be a sad day in the turkey woods.