Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

SCOUT BETTER: Using Google Maps To Increase Your Odds

Started by bamagtrdude, January 16, 2015, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Noobs: Wanted to share a "tip" to help you become very efficient scouters *AND* help you "plan your hunts" for first thing in the morning, or even throughout the day.

See the first attached pic; this is a section of land I own that I've marked up using the Windows Snippet tool last year.  Use whatever colors/markers you want, but the point is -- I've marked up a map of the area, and I've developed a plan for that morning's hunt.

The 2nd attachment is an analysis I did for BigEclipse of his land that he's hunting.  I threw out some ideas/suggestions on another thread that he can try out when he hunts this piece of land this spring.

TIP: Bring up your property on Google maps, and as you're doing your pre-season scouting, mark up the map with track sightings, poop sightings, feather sightings, and obviously any visual sightings of birds feeding, roosting, strutting, etc.  As you hunt, you can have this map either with you or in your head, but it can be very useful to know how to maneuver & setup on birds on your land.  If you'll do this throughout the season, you might start seeing some patterns on the birds & increase your odds of bagging a good gobbler.

Good luck everybody; let's have fun!!
BGD (aka Mark)
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

okiegobblers

I did the same thing for some new public land I'm hunting this season. I already know which areas to scout first so I dont waste my time wondering around aimlessly. 

bamagtrdude

Quote from: okiegobblers on February 10, 2015, 05:45:12 PM
I did the same thing for some new public land I'm hunting this season. I already know which areas to scout first so I dont waste my time wondering around aimlessly.

YES!!  Excellent work, man!
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)