OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

12ga remington premier hevi shot magnum

Started by BigPeck215, March 20, 2011, 07:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPeck215

what kinds of patterns or 10" numbers were people getting out of the old 12 gauge remington premier hevi shot magnum

i have the opportunity to buy some 3" 1.5oz 6's and some 3.5" 1.75oz 6's and was wondering how they were patterning, got an 870 SM and an 665jh, 643tgssx, and a 675IC

decoykrvr

As a general rule, the 3',15/8oz and 31/2",17/8oz loads seemed to pattern better in most guns than the faster 1300fps loads which was not all attributable to the increased # of shot.  In my experience the faster shells tended to produce uneven patterns w/ holes when shot out of the same guns and choke tubes.  I hunted w/ the 3" and 31/2" "slower" loads for several years prior to the introduction of the Polywad hevi-shot "old whites"
and was getting even turkey killing patterns.  I wasn't in the 10" Circle Club
(BOG, Before Old Gobbler) and can't give any hard numbers for 10".

BigPeck215

anyone else shoot these shells outta any gun?

corp

Quote from: decoykrvr on March 20, 2011, 07:40:05 PM
As a general rule, the 3',15/8oz and 31/2",17/8oz loads seemed to pattern better in most guns than the faster 1300fps loads which was not all attributable to the increased # of shot.  In my experience the faster shells tended to produce uneven patterns w/ holes when shot out of the same guns and choke tubes.  I hunted w/ the 3" and 31/2" "slower" loads for several years prior to the introduction of the Polywad hevi-shot "old whites"
and was getting even turkey killing patterns.  I wasn't in the 10" Circle Club
(BOG, Before Old Gobbler) and can't give any hard numbers for 10".
x-2 and x-3 they were my favorite shell. I still have 7 boxes of the old white shells that i guard with my life. :goofball:

ILIKEHEVI-13

I shot some of the loads your talking about out of a Browning Gold 3.5" semi using a .675 Comp-n-Choke.  The 1 and 3/4oz load of 6's shot better than the 1 and 7/8oz load.  I know the latter was 3.5" loads but I don't remember if the 1.75oz loads were 3" or 3.5".  But the 1.75oz shot very well. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I would buy the 1.75 oz load and hunt with them no doubt. 

MC

I hunted with the 3" #6 heavier loads for several years. These were shells I bought for duck hunting but preferred the faster loads for ducks and tried the heavier loads in my turkey gun (870 26" bbl Remington Extra Full Extended Choke)  Compared to my Federal 3" 2oz #5 they posted better numbers but I cannot remember exactly what the numbers were.

I killed 8-10 turkeys with them and never had a bird shake off a shot. I ran out of them and went back to my Federals but the flight control wads have played havoc with my pattern.

I have some Hevi 13 #7 loads and the materials to polish my barrel inbound at present. I picked up a Jelly Head .660 the other day. I'm hoping to be getting some patterns like I've been reading about.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BigPeck215 on March 20, 2011, 07:11:49 PM
what kinds of patterns or 10" numbers were people getting out of the old 12 gauge remington premier hevi shot magnum

i have the opportunity to buy some 3" 1.5oz 6's and some 3.5" 1.75oz 6's and was wondering how they were patterning, got an 870 SM and an 665jh, 643tgssx, and a 675IC

I shot a lot of those 3" shells with #6 shot when they were first introduced in still target competition and for turkey hunting. The 1.625 oz. #6 was always a better performer for me. They like very tight chokes. They use the same wad that Remington put in their steel shot shells and have some beads to fill the voids.

Compared to shotshells today, they won't pattern like you'll see with a 3" Hevi-13 shell.

A couple of years ago, a warehouse full of those were found and many retailers were selling them for $12.00 or less for a box of 10. They went pretty fast as waterfowl loads.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BigPeck215

thanks all, i am currently satisfied with my hevi 13 3-2-7's but i wont be buying anymore shells from EM once my 4 boxes of 3-2-7's are gone, so i'm looking for a backup plan, and i have the opportunity to buy a case of these shells and just trying to figure out if they are worth it

they only have the 3" 1.5oz 6's not the superior 3" 1.675oz 6's, so i will probably end up buying the 3.5 1.75 6's instead of the fast and light 3" 6's