turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Florida Spring training baseball and public land turkey hunts

Started by Tom Threetoes, January 05, 2015, 09:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Threetoes

I've kinda promised my wife I'd take her to see the STL Cardinals at spring training, in Jupiter, this year. Why couldn't I combine this with some public land turkey hunting? My buddy has hunted Greenswamp several times but that's quite a ways from jupiter. Is there any place closer that has good hunting? If not could someone recommend a decent campground near Greenswamp? Thanks 

mgm1955

I can't help you with any areas to hunt but what an awesome idea! I'm completely envious. Good luck and have a great time.

Tom Threetoes

Quote from: mgm1955 on January 05, 2015, 10:45:21 AM
I can't help you with any areas to hunt but what an awesome idea! I'm completely envious. Good luck and have a great time.
Thanks, I thought it was a good idea, like the old "two birds with one stone" saying.

Tom Threetoes

How 'bout it guys, If you can't help with the WMAs, what about a decent campground near Green Swamp. I was all over the internet last spring looking and there's not much camp ground info on the web.

mgm1955

Keep us posted how things work out. I'm green with envy!

RutnNStrutn

Tom, I've never hunted the west coast of FLA, so I can't help you. I believe Tail Feathers and his crew have though. You may wish to touch base with them.

TURKEYWHACKER

There is camping allowed at the Swamp. Most is by permit but I believe some walk on spots are available. There is also a place ( RV's and self contained I believe ) right near where Highway 98 and CR 471 intersect but I don't know the name.

born2hunt

http://canoegatorstyle.com/  This is a nice (hunter friendly) spot thats about 30 min from the swamp and the sites are reservable with power and water.Its the only private owned camp that I know of in the area. Like said before you can camp at G Swamp but sites are not and guaranteed and are totally primitive.Now there are also a couple of primitive camp grounds in the neighboring Richloam WMA that allow camping without permits at certain times of the year but you'd need to read the brochures to find out details as I have only used them during Deer season...Good luck...
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Tom Threetoes

Born2hunt, I 've got an email off to Canoe Gater Style, thanks for the tip. The place sounds good.

alclark2

My wife is a HUUUUGE STL fan! Keep us posted how it all works out.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

born2hunt

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on January 13, 2015, 07:30:05 AM
Born2hunt, I 've got an email off to Canoe Gater Style, thanks for the tip. The place sounds good.
If you don't hear from them in a couple days give them a call. I didn't have a whole lot of luck with their email but they answer the phone pretty consistently and are friendly folks to talk to .
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

BigGobbler

Camping Not much around the swamp the rain keeps up you will not have a campsite without water in there it is wet wet. you can get with someone that has a campsite already and ask to share it with them its allowed as long as you get a copy of the permit. might want to try Hillsborough state park also. lakeland is 30 min drive with lots of hotels and a hooters :drool:

TURKEYWHACKER

FYI  only one campground is open in Richloam during spring turkey season.

bornagain64

There is a kinda new, couple years old, state park next to Green Swamp.
I think the name is Colt's Creek, might give that a try, not sure if they have camping. Also a couple of camp grounds on Hwy 50, just north on 471 and turn left on Hwy 50, probably 30 minute drive, Ridge Manor .
When I have not drawn a permit, I have hunted several WMAs mentioned on here. I love turkey hunting and just have to be in the woods, but it is tough hunting. Just like everyone has said, lots of hunters, water, mosquitoes and snakes. DO NOT FORGET YOUR THERMACELL!!!!!!!

someone kills birds every year on all the WMAs.

Good luck to you.