turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sbe II help

Started by NCRG Archery, March 20, 2011, 02:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCRG Archery

Having trouble getting my sbe II 28" barrel and ic .665 choke to pattern any 3.5" loads. I've tried hevi mag blends and hevi 7's,win extended range 6's, not impressed at all. Switch loads or choke?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: NCRG Archery on March 20, 2011, 02:30:20 PM
Having trouble getting my sbe II 28" barrel and ic .665 choke to pattern any 3.5" loads. I've tried hevi mag blends and hevi 7's,win extended range 6's, not impressed at all. Switch loads or choke?

Before you give up on your choke or your load, I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of your SBEII. That chrome-lined bore can appear to be clean when in fact it is not. You can click on the banner below and read the article "Cleaning a Shotgun" barrel for some guidelines for that procedure. It should help a good bit.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nyhunter

I'm having the same problem with my 24" SBEII, I to have tried H-13  3" 3.5" #6 and mag blend and win.elite #6 3" and 3.5". I shot mine today with the mag blends and the best i got was 154 in a 10" circle . I have tried I.C, jellyhead,,pure gold, comp-n-choke. I'm about ready to sell it and go buy a GOOD Remington.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: nyhunter on March 20, 2011, 03:53:26 PM
I'm having the same problem with my 24" SBEII, I to have tried H-13  3" 3.5" #6 and mag blend and win.elite #6 3" and 3.5". I shot mine today with the mag blends and the best i got was 154 in a 10" circle . I have tried I.C, jellyhead,,pure gold, comp-n-choke. I'm about ready to sell it and go buy a GOOD Remington.

I have 24", 26" and 28" barrels for my SBE (same barrel as SBEII) and shooting 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot, I see 170 - 190 in 10" at 40 yards.

You may need to go to a tighter choke tube in the .640 to .650 range. That's where I see my best patterns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 20, 2011, 06:13:54 PM
Quote from: nyhunter on March 20, 2011, 03:53:26 PM

I have 24", 26" and 28" barrels for my SBE (same barrel as SBEII) and shooting 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot, I see 170 - 190 in 10" at 40 yards.

You may need to go to a tighter choke tube in the .640 to .650 range. That's where I see my best patterns.

Thanks,
Clark

We have shot a 665 and it has a good even kill pattern.  Now like Clark said you need to drop it down to 650 to 645.  That will pick it up a good  amount.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Hay Flats

I have a 26" barrel SBE II that I have tried a couple of IC chokes in, The first was a .665 and I was not impressed so I exchanged it for a .660 and still was not that impressed so I exchanged it again for another .665 and bingo it shoots very well with the second .665, go figure? I also have a Comp-N-Choke XXX .658 and that choke shoots even tighter maybe a little to tight, If my gun shot to point of aim with lead I would never shoot anything but the C-N-C and Federal pre flight control lead #5's it just shoots to low for me but the pattern is there. I would try some Hevi-13 3.5" #5's I was getting into the mid 170's with some lots of them and into the 140's with other lots, That load of 5' in the 170's was just flat wicked!
Make sure you clean your chokes very good with a brush to get all the plastic build up out or your patterns will suffer!

Kurt 

mudhen

Quote from: NCRG Archery on March 20, 2011, 02:30:20 PM

20 years of shooting SBE's has taught me that they are not the easiest guns to pattern for turkeys.

I'd go to .660 or lower, and maybe try a different brand of choke?  Maybe a $40 Jellyhead in .660?

Also, as much as I have stood behind the 3.5" shell, I am now finding that CERTAIN 3" shells pattern better than their 3.5" counterparts in CERTAIN guns with CERTAIN chokes.

I found a sleeper combo this year for my SBE II, 3" Magnum Blend with a Jellyhead .660, which gives me 240 hits in the 12" at 38 yards, and a perfect POA vs. POI  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

1iagobblergetter

I had a'lot of troubles finding the right combo for my SBE2 24in barrel. After trying various chokes,constrictions,and shells. I had the best luck with poa/poi and good patterns going with a .643  constriction and fed hvy #7s. I tried .670-.643s. Keep at it you'll figure it out!!!!

turkeytromp

I had a heck of a time with my SBEII as well last season, as I tried several different choke load combos and the best I was able to get was with a Jellyhead .660 and was getting around 150-160's in 10" with #6 3" hevi13 in which I killed two birds DOA.
So the bug bit me this year and I just went for the gusto and had my gun smithed up by gobbler guns/Rob Roberts and I'm shooting the 24" BBl with a custom heavy shot .668 choke now to accept the heavier 3-1/2" loads and getting 350-380 hits in 10" at 40 with the new hevi13 #7's.
It has been talked about the SBEII crios having fits with the turkey loads but once you hit the setup you have a killing machine!Keep pluggin!

NCRG Archery

Hey thanks for the replies. Today we had nice weather so I went out and shot some 3" mag blends. They patterned excellent. Then again shot the 3.5" mag blends and hevi 7's, They were horrible. Win ext range 5's shot very well also, but the pattern wasn't as even as the 3" mag blends. I will be sticking with those.

neal

Quote from: turkeytromp on March 21, 2011, 07:19:58 PM
I had a heck of a time with my SBEII as well last season, as I tried several different choke load combos and the best I was able to get was with a Jellyhead .660 and was getting around 150-160's in 10" with #6 3" hevi13 in which I killed two birds DOA.
So the bug bit me this year and I just went for the gusto and had my gun smithed up by gobbler guns/Rob Roberts and I'm shooting the 24" BBl with a custom heavy shot .668 choke now to accept the heavier 3-1/2" loads and getting 350-380 hits in 10" at 40 with the new hevi13 #7's.
It has been talked about the SBEII crios having fits with the turkey loads but once you hit the setup you have a killing machine!Keep pluggin!

Great to hear just bought a SBEII w/24" barrel and talked to Rob today and he is sending me up a choke to try out againts a I/C, he said his choke w/magblends has been a great set up.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.