turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

best box call $$$$

Started by daymude7288, December 27, 2014, 10:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I have one of the popular Kwila/limba SS boxes and its a killer, I have plans to order 2 or 3 more combos from him this year.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Roughneck

I to have a box from the ss guys an a slate fine calls. Another couple fellas also to consider would be Frank Kruer. An Jeff Lacey of shag hill custom calls both make great calls . You honestly can't go wrong with most of the call makers on here some mighty fine ones. Good luck with your search on getting a call.

dreis3

Quote from: Roughneck on December 30, 2014, 07:54:54 PM
I to have a box from the ss guys an a slate fine calls. Another couple fellas also to consider would be Frank Kruer. An Jeff Lacey of shag hill custom calls both make great calls . You honestly can't go wrong with most of the call makers on here some mighty fine ones. Good luck with your search on getting a call.

Totally forgot about Frank!  If he's still at $75 for a box then he and SS would be neck and neck in my opinion.  Also, if you're ever in/around the Atlanta area look up Lonnie Mabry;  he makes great calls and they're ridiculously underpriced, he's $50 for a checkered box.  I was in the Atlanta area about a month and a half ago, paid Mr. Mabry a visit, and left 4 hours, 3 box calls, 2 pot calls, a scratchbox, wingbone, and cane yelper later - all to the tun of about $225. Some of the finest calls I've played; if you can get to him it's well worth the trip, he doesn't ship any calls so you'll have to stop by if ya want one.  Good luck in your search and let us know what ya get!
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

silverspur

SS calls for what your looking to spend in there field grade call is a great choice IMO.  Frank Kruer makes good ones too, just not sure what his prices are today.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

blackfalcon

Al and Josh put the same quality and consistency into their field grade calls as they do in every call they make and they have been doing so for a long time. I've listened to a lot of them over the years and have never heard any I didn't like.

davisd9

Another SS Custom Calls vote!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mwr

shaman

I just want y'all to know that I was so impressed by this thread here that I just mailed a check to Al for a butternut/kwila square end field grade box.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shaman

Al did the picking. 

I told him volume wasn't going to be a problem, but I wanted the most scintillating box he had.  My turkeys have to put up with me for a full week at the front end of the season and then weekends after that. To be successful, I need to be like the housewife that shows up at the door dressed in saran wrap and high heels, ready to hand her hubby a martini by the end of season.

. . . ewwwww! I just read that last sentence. The thought of me in saran wrap. . .    Well, you get the idea.  :P

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

letinmfly

You're getting a great call in a great combo from great callmakers.  I would have gotten it with rounded ends though.   ;D
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

drum817

Quote from: shaman on January 09, 2015, 03:10:05 PM
I just want y'all to know that I was so impressed by this thread here that I just mailed a check to Al for a butternut/kwila square end field grade box.

GREAT Choice!!!  Let us know how you like it!!!  I have the same combo and have killed several birds with it.  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

daymude7288

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I'm sure SS makes one hell of a call but after hearing a David Holloran box call i had to have one!

davisd9

Quote from: shaman on January 09, 2015, 03:10:05 PM

Speaking on the phone with Mr. Al is a true pleasure.  I am certain you will be very satisfied with your box.  Got one coming my way as well for my boy's birthday, but I went with Butternut/Maple off of dirt road ninja's and Mr. Al's suggestion.  More excited than if it was for me!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

A fine call, you won't be disappointed. Another call maker - Wendel Lancaster spoke very highly of SS 's boxes. He seemed to be a good reference. I purchased 4 of Al's calls a few months ago and I can honestly say the range from very good to great. Definitely in the same class as calls I've spent 100's on.

Bigfoot

check out mother lode box calls...