OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best box call $$$$

Started by daymude7288, December 27, 2014, 10:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daymude7288

Just wondering what you guys think on which is the best box call for the money??  Have had a bunch of cheap ones but want something a little better.  Try to keep it under $80.  Uncle Sam don't pay all to well.

longhorn

SS custom calls sells two styles of field grade boxes for $55 and $60. I have three and they sound great. They will work with you to get the sound that you want. Great people. Ken

jbird

SS Custom calls. I have about 8 of their calls and they are all great calls. Call and talk to Al and tell him the sound that you prefer and he will hook you up with a wood combo that best describes your needs. A few of my favorites are maple/Mahogany, kwila/butternut, maple/mineral poplar or kwila/limba. Most of the ones that i have are the field grade calls. They build a really nice longbox also.

hunter22

SS boys get my vote also. I have one of their field boxes in Kwila over Limba and it is a fine call.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: longhorn on December 28, 2014, 12:13:14 AM
SS custom calls sells two styles of field grade boxes for $55 and $60. I have three and they sound great. They will work with you to get the sound that you want. Great people. Ken

Looks like you have already been given the suggestion of SS Custom Calls.....and of course I agree!   There plan and simply awesome!!!  They are a game changer!!  Also do yourself a favor and check out there pot calls....I love there slate over glass and I've tried a lot in my 24 yrs turkey hunting and nothing comes close to the sound of this call.  It help bring 5 long beards to my gun last yr just an unbelievably awesome call at a great price!  Al and Josh has come out with a new line of pot calls and I will soon have my hands on a couple and can't wait!  Al and Josh are top notch Christian brothers and call makers I Highly recommend them!!!!

God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

sbbow

Another for the SS GUYS  very nice people to deal and there calls come with feathers inside the calls LOL.

mgm1955

SS all the way. Great guys and great callmakers!! Will make a box that will flat kill turkeys. I agree with Rickey, kwila/limba or one of my favorites yellowheart/limba. Won't go wrong no matter what combo you get. Good luck!!

daymude7288

Well it looks like you guys made it real tough on me what to go with here.  I guess I will be getting my hands on some SS calls!  Thanks for the help fellas!!

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: daymude7288 on December 28, 2014, 11:54:13 AM
Well it looks like you guys made it real tough on me what to go with here.  I guess I will be getting my hands on some SS calls!  Thanks for the help fellas!!

Daymude....Al is on the board too so you can also PM him with questions etc.  he's very quick to get back with you his user name is (SS Calls).  You might already know that but just wanted to pass it along in case you didn't. 

God bless

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

trb136

For that Money its a no brainer..SS all the way   fine folks there!

legend

SS boys get my vote I have several and they are first class all the way.

dreis3

Yup.  Can't beat an SS field grade at that price point!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

J Lacey

I collect box calls, I consistently kill turkeys with box calls, I build and sell box calls and I'm still impressed each time I pick up my SS box and run it. Best investment I made period as I started learning the craft. I killed two Gobblers with it and then studied it top to bottom inside and out. It stays on my bench with in reach and is ran as comparison a lot along with a Dad's and a Albert Paul. It is perfection in my mind and a true hunting call. Al will never know how much he taught me. Not only is the sound there his craftsmanship and checkering is some of the best in the business which was priceless to me as I learned.  When you get it learn how to run it the right way, Work at it and you'll get the most out of it. This has to be learned just like any other call.   I vote SS  Best whishes

Jeff
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

spiggy2

As much as I hate to go against those in favor of SS game calls, I personally like Bradley Custom Calls. Hoot makes some great boxes. Best Wishes!
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux