turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#4's or #6's

Started by tha bugman, November 21, 2014, 09:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

If you had to just grab a box of #4's or #6's and had not even patterned the gun before (not that I would ever do this)...which would you choose?  My debate is whether or not to go with the larger size or potentially more pellets on target.  Your thoughts?

davisd9

Lead or heavier than lead? Lead I would use 5s and HTL I would use 6s

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tha bugman

sorry I should have put that in there....I was referring to lead

WildTigerTrout

I would go with the #6's. In my experience most shotguns throw better patterns with smaller size shot. I do own a Rem. 870SM that patterns better with #4's but IMO that is a rarity.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

allaboutshooting

I'd choose the #6 shot without question. It's really all about the retained energy at the target and a swarm of #6 shot will deliver more than enough energy to cleanly kill a turkey at any ethical range. Since #6 shot flows better and will consistently deliver more dense and even patterns than #4 shot, it's always my choice.

You can see the real difference by looking at this evaluation: http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=724

That #4 shot pattern is the best I've ever seen with that size shot but it still has gaps that might allow a turkey to escape.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

R AJ

My first 10 choices would be #6s; after that I'd have to think about it.

Old Timer53

tomstopper

I have always used #6....

alclark2

Hoosier Hunt n Fish

strutzone