OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hard Decisions

Started by laker, November 16, 2014, 04:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbhngr

davisd9

She will be a killer!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tail Feathers

Nice gun!  That gun and set up you mentioned, you should be crushing heads this spring!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

SCGobbler

Nice gun.  One of my favorites.  I think you will be happy with that decision for a long time.

The longbeards I am still a bit iffy on, simply because I think a 65 yard shot is too much for turkeys.  Honestly I have never pulled the trigger on anything over 45 yards.  I just don't feel comfortable taking a 65 yard shot like the longboard's claim they can make.

65 yards shooting skeet/trap and 65 yards sitting on the ground with the gun on your knee is a huge huge difference!

Good Luck and welcome!!!!

:welcomeOG:

The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

trkehunr93

Nice choice!  You can still use that Charles Daly for some squirrel or dove.  Or make it you home defense gun since it has that short barrel.

laker

Thanks everyone! Although i have not shot it yet I believe i made the right choice with this gun.
Although the longbeards may state they are deadly up to 60+ yards i do not see myself brave enough to try them out that far. Since i am so new to turkey hunting i believe i would still be nervous shooting a big Tom out at 45! I'm mainly going to start with the longbeards because i hear a lot of good things about them and hear consistent patterns. Plus the main reason for setting out all day hunting isn't too see how far my gun will shoot, its about the experience and calling a big gobbler up.

My girlfriend acctually mentioned that she would like to go squirrell hunting just the other day, so the CD may have a trip to the woods in its near future  :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

good luck with the new turkey gun
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: laker on December 01, 2014, 07:16:55 PM
Thanks everyone! Although i have not shot it yet I believe i made the right choice with this gun.
Although the longbeards may state they are deadly up to 60+ yards i do not see myself brave enough to try them out that far. Since i am so new to turkey hunting i believe i would still be nervous shooting a big Tom out at 45! I'm mainly going to start with the longbeards because i hear a lot of good things about them and hear consistent patterns. Plus the main reason for setting out all day hunting isn't too see how far my gun will shoot, its about the experience and calling a big gobbler up.

My girlfriend acctually mentioned that she would like to go squirrell hunting just the other day, so the CD may have a trip to the woods in its near future  :icon_thumright:

I'd encourage you to thoroughly clean the bore of that new 870. Even new barrels should be "deep cleaned" prior to taking them to the range. It will pay big dividends and it also allows you to really see the quality of the bore.

Part of my evaluation of the 33 configurations of chokes with Long Beard shells includes a 26" Remington barrel and the choke you're considering. You may find that study of interest when it's completed.

Again, great choice.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

laker

Clark,
Just a few quick questions since i am interested in deep cleaning my barrel.
It is quite cold here right now so i am planning on waiting to pattern my shotgun closer to our spring turkey season. Would you recommend waiting to deep clean it then or getting it out of the way now? If i choose to do it now, what would you recommend for protective lubricant? Lastly, should i clean the barrel again immediately after patterning or just wait till season and clean it then to be ready?

Thanks for all of your help.
-Garrett

allaboutshooting

Quote from: laker on December 03, 2014, 11:01:32 PM
Clark,
Just a few quick questions since i am interested in deep cleaning my barrel.
It is quite cold here right now so i am planning on waiting to pattern my shotgun closer to our spring turkey season. Would you recommend waiting to deep clean it then or getting it out of the way now? If i choose to do it now, what would you recommend for protective lubricant? Lastly, should i clean the barrel again immediately after patterning or just wait till season and clean it then to be ready?

Thanks for all of your help.
-Garrett

Hey Garrett,

I would "deep clean" it now. That way you can get a good look at the bore. Any gun oil, Rem-Oil, etc. will work to protect the bore. I use a "Remington Mini-dehumidifier Model 365", it rechargeable and lasts for years and I also use "Zerust Vapor Capsule Model VC2-1", a few, in my gun storage areas. I think that vapor technology is especially effective. I've used that combination for years and never have a problem with rust.

I recommend starting a patterning session with a very clean barrel and then shoot it until the pattern degrades before cleaning. I don't clean between shots when I'm shooting a new gun. That's really the only way you can learn what your particular gun likes. Some like clean, some a little dirty and others just keep shooting the same or better for many rounds.

Once you'd done the deep cleaning, it will be much easier to keep it clean and just a dry brush through the bore may be all it needs.

It's all about getting to know your particular gun. I will do a routine cleaning if I plan to store a gun for a long time.

If I did not fully answer your questions, please let me know and I'll give it another shot.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gophert

Very nice choice.  I hunted with an 870 SM for years but hated the headache it gave me when I shot it.  If you were to tweak that Charles Daly out with a good choke and load.  I promise, that 870 SM would never see the woods again.  Below is why I ended up selling my SM.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Great choice.  That is the world's easiest 12 gauge platform to turn into a turkey gun.  Everyone makes chokes for the 870.  Parts galore to be found.  I had one of those CD 20 gauges myself, and when I found out that they were out of business and that no parts were available, I traded it off REAL quick.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: laker on November 29, 2014, 05:25:44 PM
Thank you all very much!
I plan on trying it out with a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder Choke in .660 constriction and outfitting it with a TruGlo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot Sight. I am going to start off by patterning the Longbeard shells in a #6 shot. From what i have read i believe this setup should give me what i am looking for.
That should do it!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

laker

Just wanted to update this thread..
For Christmas I received a Hevi-Shot choke in .662 constriction, and a Claw brand sling. I also picked up a Tru-Glo Gobble Dot pro series sights for it. I already installed all my new goodies and can't wait to get out and pattern this baby. I also picked up some 3 1/2" Longbeards in 5 and 6 shot to see how they pattern, i will more than like pick up some Hevi-Shot in 5 and 6 to pattern as well. Always feel like it can't hurt to try new things!