turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hard Decisions

Started by laker, November 16, 2014, 04:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laker

Hello everyone on OldGobbler. This is my first post and i'm looking for some opinions. I am trying to get more into turkey hunting and no longer want to have to borrow a friends equipment every year when season rolls around.

I have been searching and searching for a new 12ga shotgun but I am wondering if i should save my money. I own a Charles Daly Field 20ga that chambers up to a 3" shell.Its barrel length is 21" and It has a Charles Daly modified choke in it that i am willing to buy a new, better turkey choke for if i can find one that will fit it. I have read a lot of people on here love to hunt with 20gauge but what will the disadvantages/advantages be. I have attached a pic of my Charles Daly for reference.

Do you guys think that this gun will suit my needs or will i continue to thrive for a new 12ga until i buy one? If i end up buying a new gun it will more than likely be a Remi 870 with 24-26" barrel, preferably super mag that shoots 3 1/2" shells.

Swampchickin234

There's never anything wrong with buying a new gun lol.  Just do it.   You're cd should interchange with remingtin threads, so a choke should be no issue to find.   After carrying a 20 gauge this past season for the first time I don't know if I will ever carry anything else.  They are a joy to carry, shoot, and handle.   Like everyone else on here taught me, you got to try some federal hw 7    They are mean and they throw amazing patterns.  Hevi-13 #7s also handle well to.  Find the right choke and you got a little head buster for sure.   Then get a 12 and have both haha.  God bless brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

First of all, welcome to OG. This is a great place and we're glad you're here.

There is nothing wrong with a 20 gauge gun. Most will do anything that is necessary to cleanly kill a turkey at all reasonable ranges.

You do have a "challenge" however with that very short 21" barrel. I am an avid 20 gauge shooter as is my wife, Doris, and we have used those guns to win championships, set world records in still target shooting and kill many turkeys in the fields.

We have found that a 26" barrel is just about perfect for all of those events and that anything shorter can be very difficult to work with to get good patterns.

You also face the real challenge of the CD brand with has been discontinued due to bankruptcy of the company and few if any parts are available for any of their guns. No one has been willing to step up and supply parts for those guns and they are really dwindling quickly.

Frankly, I'd attempt to trade that gun for some other gun that has support and parts available. A Remington or Mossberg would be my first choices. They are almost infinitely customizable and have many chokes available for them.

A 20 gauge or 12 gauge will certainly work and either with a 3" chamber is all that you'll ever need.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Swampchickin234

^^ just listin to mr. Clark   He knows his stuff    But I still say buy both to have fun.  Good lick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

I think turkeykiller12 has that exact gun. PM him and I am sure he will give you some tips. Set up correctly that gun will kill just fine. If you want a 12 then great but it is not needed. I prefer to do most of my hunting with a 12 but tote a 20 here and there and have been successful with it. Good luck!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

laker

I just want to start off by saying, THANK YOU for the warm welcome to your forum. I can tell OG is going to be a place i spend many hours talking and researching. I believe the decision has been made that a new 12gauge is in my future. This old Charles Daly can spend the rest of its life on the rack as a "back-up" if needed. I hate to hear that CD is no longer in business as it seems to be a very nice and well made gun in my opinion. A family member bought this gun for me a few years ago and i cannot let it go... So i guess that just means i will have a 20 and a 12 gauge  :happy0064:

laker

Since i did not buy the CD and they are now out of business i assume this will hurt the value of the gun. Does anyone know an estimate of what it may be worth? It is in "good" condition in my opinion with a few scratches here and there. Functions great and cleaned regularly after shooting.
Not for selling purposes just for knowledge. I will happily keep this gun many more years.

davisd9

Quote from: laker on November 17, 2014, 08:35:09 AM
Since i did not buy the CD and they are now out of business i assume this will hurt the value of the gun. Does anyone know an estimate of what it may be worth? It is in "good" condition in my opinion with a few scratches here and there. Functions great and cleaned regularly after shooting.
Not for selling purposes just for knowledge. I will happily keep this gun many more years.

It is a budget Remington.  The CD's are a very good gun.  They are British.  If you were trying to sell it to me I would offer you 225-250 as a fair used price for the pump version.  They usually do very well with the same combos that the 20 ga 870s do well with.  The 21" barrels in the Remingtons and CDs seem to be easier to get a good choke/load combination out of than the longer barrels, even though that does not makes sense.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

laker

Well i figured i should update this thread and let everyone know what i have gotten. I went Black Friday shopping this morning and purchased a new Remington 870 Express Super Mag. It has the 26" barrel and is hardwoods camo. I plan on making this gun a dedicated turkey slayer. First on the list is going to be a quality choke after i research what brand and constriction will fit my needs best. Later on i will upgrade the sights, but will use the bead until then. Here are some pics...

allaboutshooting

A very nice gun and good choice. Congratulations.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mikejd

Very nice. Good luck with the new gun. Congrats.

laker

Thank you all very much!
I plan on trying it out with a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder Choke in .660 constriction and outfitting it with a TruGlo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot Sight. I am going to start off by patterning the Longbeard shells in a #6 shot. From what i have read i believe this setup should give me what i am looking for.

mgm1955

Congrats on a great new gun! Good luck!!

Walkerz07

You will love it. Very dependable and reliable shotgun for the money.

alclark2

Quote from: laker on November 29, 2014, 05:25:44 PM
Thank you all very much!
I plan on trying it out with a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder Choke in .660 constriction and outfitting it with a TruGlo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot Sight. I am going to start off by patterning the Longbeard shells in a #6 shot. From what i have read i believe this setup should give me what i am looking for.

Let us know how it works out. That sounds like a great combo to start out with.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish