Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who owns both a 12GA and 20GA turkey gun?

Started by vpsalin, November 08, 2014, 04:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

I find myself carrying the 20 gauge single shot that I bought for my grandsons whenever they aren't with me.  It's so much lighter and softer shooting than my 835 that I'm saving my money for my own 20 gauge.  Not to mention easier on the ears!
You can get great 40 yard killing patterns with them and the right choke these days and I'm not seeing much downside to a 20.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

allaboutshooting

When I hunt with a 12 gauge, I make sure that all my 20 gauge shells are out of my vest and pockets. It's very easy to drop a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge gun and fire it.

That happened a few years ago at a still target shoot with one of the most experienced shooter there. He just took the wrong gun to the line. He fired a shell and did not see anything wrong. Fortunately, several of us heard the shot and knew something was wrong. The shell fired and the entire shell then went into the bore.

Had he fired a 12 gauge shell next, the consequences could have been a disaster either for him or for the shooters next to him on either side. He kind of laughed it off but none of us did.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Stickbow98

I also have both a 12 and a 20 ga. set up just for turkeys. My Benelli SBE 12 with a Fastfire II is my primary carry, and has busted a pile of beaks!
For those "run & gun" hunts I tend to prefer the lighter T/C Encore 20, (topped with a Moeller Quick Shot) it is just as deadly, and much easier to carry. I always keep shells for both in my Brossie bag.
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

SKFOOTER

I have both and hunt with both.  I use the 20 if I plan on walking a good distance due to its lighter weight.   :OGturkeyhead:

surehuntsalot

I have 2 12ga's and 2 20ga's
I carry the 835 and the 1100 once in a while for the heck of it,but 90% of the time it's the 870 20ga over my shoulder.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

01Foreman400

I've got 4 20 ga. turkey guns and 2 12 ga. guns.  I've got everything to start loading TSS for the 20 gauges.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!