Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who owns both a 12GA and 20GA turkey gun?

Started by vpsalin, November 08, 2014, 04:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpsalin

When/why do you switch between your 12GA and 20GA? Are there certain reasons why you head out in the morning with one or the other?
1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

gaswamp

I have both 12 and 20ga  and a 16ga as well which I mainly carry these days.

Spring Creek Calls

I have a Winchester 1300 12 ga. and a Remington 870 20 ga. When I hunt out of state I use the 1300 and the 870 20 ga. when hunting MI. I shot 4 gobblers with the 1300 in 3 different states but the most impressive was taken here in MI with the 20 and a load of Heavyweight 7's.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

owlhoot

Pretty much depends on terrain where hunting and how tough i expect the hunting to be.   Or with 2 tags this spring i took the 12  870 for the the first bird. Then went to the Win. 37 single shot 20 gauge, which needed a bird to its credit, guess the pressure was off?   Skipped the 870 20  which has a pile of birds to its credit and is a spectacular killer and also the other 12 and 20 gauges..  Rotate them , they all deserve a day in the woods.

R AJ

Guilty on both counts. No reason needed but if insanity is an excuse I guess that's me as well.
No real preference on either although the 20s are much more pleasurable to shoot and carry.

reynolds243

Have both a SBE2 and a M2 20. I like both as the sbe has a steady grip and ff3 on it. If I'm walking s bunch then I take the 20 due to weight and easy of carrying it all day

njdevilsb

I have both and carry both each spring.  I don't really have a reason in mind when I carry one over the other.  Usually whichever I choose first will be my choice until I get a bird, then I switch to the other to try and fill my second tag.

allaboutshooting

Good thread.

My reasons seem pretty much like everyone else. I normally hunt with whatever gun I've been using most at the time be that a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge. When Doris and I hunt together I normally take a 20 because that's also what she uses.

Frankly, with the right choke/shell and remembering to take only shots where that combo is effective, either will do the job very well as long as I do what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

owlhoot

One thing that goes with the multiple gauge grabbers =  make sure you have both shells in the turkey vest. :(  those 12 gauge shells are just a bit to tight for the 20 gauge chamber :lol:

davisd9

I carry an 835 as my main gun but in tougher terrain I take my 11-87 20 ga. Fun to tote now and again.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

cluck

I do own both and hunt with both. I like the lite weight twenty but the 870 12gauge 28 inch barrel has an advantge. Ive killed a ton of turkeys with it. Reguardless of what gun I use Ive learned to carry a full choke in addition to extra full or super full. Sometimes the turkey makes the choice for me. Even a  modified looks good if he's in your face saying take your best shot! They can make me look like a fool. But thats turkey hunting.   cluck

hs strut

i hunted with my 870 20 guage for a long time but it dosent see much use since i got my 535 12 guage though it has killed birds just like my 12 has the 20 gets used now when i take someone that cant stand the heavy recoil of my 12 (you might as well put it against the tree instead of your shoulder its that bad)
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

CrustyRusty

I have a sbe2 and a 20 gauge BPS.  I usually use the sbe for my first bird and after the self imposed pressure is off I use the bps..but like others have said, it mostly depends on terrain, weather, mood...

WildTigerTrout

I own a 10, three 12's and a 20 ga. shotgun that are dedicated turkey guns. The 10 is a Browning BPS "Stalker" 24". It's very effective but also HEAVY so if I must walk any distance it stays home. The 12's include a Rem. 870 SM, a Benelli SBE I and a Knight TK 2000 ML. I carry the Benelli the most and I feel most comfortable hunting with it. The 20 ga. is a Benelli "Nova". I carry it when I know I will be doing ALOT of walking and covering ALOT of ground.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

drenalinld

I leave really good 12 gauges at home because M2 20 weighs 5.5 lbs and is lethal further than I will shoot.