OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Guide: How to?

Started by memert116, November 27, 2014, 04:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

memert116

Hey everyone,

First, I want to wish everyone the happiest of Thanksgivings and many blessings!!   

Second,  I have this crazy idea about starting to guide for turkeys.  I'm not looking to make big bucks or use it to gain access to hunt turkey's or anything of that nature.  I just find that I truly LOVE to be out in the woods with turkey's or with anything else, I really enjoy people, I enjoy teaching, I would prefer those with me while hunting have success rather than myself, I love long hours and camaraderie.  My issue is how to get my foot in the door somewhere for a chance to prove myself.

Just wandering what others think and if anyone else has experiences they care to share on their successes/failures in becoming a guide.  Oh, I don't need this as a full-time job.  Just willing to take the time off before and during seasons.

Thanks!!

guesswho

Taking friends and family and putting a bird in front of them is one thing.  Guiding for a paying client is entirely different.   I have a couple places ask me every year to take a few folks.  I've done it a handful of times and didn't really enjoy it.   Probably won't do it again, already turned down a place for this spring.  Seems like when money is involved it's treated like a job, and it adds unwanted pressure to something I usually enjoy.   Some people think if they pay money you should be able to put multiple turkeys in front of them every day until they manage to connect, no matter what their skill level is.   With some of these people you may as well be riding a horse through the woods trying to call birds in gun range.  With as many deer and turkeys as there are today I think there's a reason a hunter pays another person to put them on game.  There are exceptions, but most of the ones I've guided would really struggle on their own, even on the best properties.

As far getting your foot in the door it would help to know someone.  Reputation and word of mouth will open doors, even unsolicited.   If you don't know anyone then I would visit a close by outfitter and talk with them to see what they suggested.  I'd take a few calls and even some photo's of successful hunts just in case they might be looking.   Most places already have full time guides but need someone to fill in on occasion, and being that person could lead to more clients and a more permanent spot on the roster in the future based on clients opinions.

Good luck.  I hope it works out for you and I hope you enjoy it.  But be prepared, it is a job!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

M Sharpe

Don't forget safety issues as well. Be prepared to look down a few gun barrels.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

hunter62

I can tell you this ive been threw it safety first and don't try to take to many at once .if you guide you got take charge control the hunt .and the turkey lol

Gamblinman

Lots of patience, gift of the gab, and a love for people. Get ready to be exhausted by the end of turkey season.

Good luck.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Cut N Run

I guided bass fishing on several local lakes, plus took a few guys hunting on land I leased back in the 80s & 90s. First thing I need to say is that there's a big difference between a hobby and a job.  Guiding can be a good and bad experience.  Be prepared for clients expecting you to produce, rain or shine, no matter what.  Just because somebody wants to go hunting or fishing with you, doesn't mean they have much patience or a very high skill level.  The client is expecting to to bridge the gap between your skills and their success.  Whenever somebody pays for something, they expect results, regardless of what the game you pursue is doing.  Those cold, rainy days are tough to get up and focus, especially if your client isn't into it.  I've also had people come back on their own to hunt and fish the spots I took them to.  Make sure you get paid in cash too, because unless the client has success way beyond their imagination, they may stop payment on a check.  It sucks to spend time, gas, locations, skill, and sometimes gear only to have somebody decide they want it free.  It doesn't happen much, but it happens. Too many people will cancel or be late without letting you know too.

The other side of that coin is that is when you help someone to bag their first or biggest deer, catch more or bigger fish than they thought possible, or call a gobbler like you had him on a rope. It is nice to be the hero.  It can be very rewarding.  I had some guys come into town from the midwest a while back to fish a national bass tournament at a regional lake that I fished a lot.  They fished the lake on their own the first day without good results.  They hired me the next day, so we started eliminating water to try to figure out the pattern.  By the third spot, we figured out where the fish were & we tested the pattern from one end of the lake to the other.  It held through the day of tournament. The guy who owned the boat won the tournament (+big fish) and the non-boater placed 3rd.  They loaded me up with lures from their sponsor and even paid me 10% of their tournament winnings on top of my guide fee. The win helped propel the winner to contend for the series title.

I also put a client on one of my favorite deer stands where I'd seen many bucks with instructions to let the little bucks pass, so they could grow. I'd seen a few bucks sparring from that stand, but none of any real size. I lead the client to that stand and went to the other side of the lease. I heard a shot from his direction not long after I'd seen a nice little 8 point non-shooter buck walk down the draw toward the stand. His radio came on and he could barely speak.  I thought he was hurt.  As I was trying to get across the 400 acres between us, he came back on the radio and said he shot at the biggest buck of his life (which wasn't much) and might need help tracking it. He was a shaking, nervous wreck when I got there.  It took me about 3 minutes to find his buck, a great 148 inch 5x5 buck that I'd never seen before.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

wisconsinteacher

I would look into a youth program where you can take kids that will never get the chance to go without people like you.  I am part of the group that does it in our county and it is a good time.  I take it to personal sometimes and try too hard to get a kid a shot.  I could never guide because I want everyone to get a bird and feel that the pressure would be too much.