turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stabilized wood pot call

Started by gobblerhunter, December 14, 2014, 10:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblerhunter

Has anyone turned a pot call out of stabilized wood?
I have a couple pot blanks and wondered how they would turn.
If anyone has any experience, please tell me the do's and don'ts. The stuff
Is too expensive to experiment with.
Thanks for any help.
Bill

C W

I stabilized ny first blank yesterday. Haven't turned it yet but I will let you know when I get it done. I think it will turn like akylic.
Curt :z-twocents:

M,Yingling

Turns real nice I do all my own stabilizing certain woods take the resin differently ,,, but over all if you have turned any real hard exotic woods in the past,,, the stabilized wood will have about the same tonel qualities 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mastevt

I stabilized some honey locust burl today, and turned a grunt tube out of it.  If your stabilizing the wood yourself, rough your blank, so your not trying to inject the resin in excess wood that you'll be removing.  Saves on resin, and reduces time in the vacuum  chamber.  Other than that, make sure you wear a mask so you don't breath in the resin dust.  Take your time, have fun, and post up your results.

gobblerhunter

Thanks for your response, I have made several duck calls out of stabilized
woods and love to turn it.  I have noticed the calls are slightly louder and
seem to be crisper. Similar to acrylic.  I am concerned that in a pot, the sound
will be noticeably higher than wood. I don't know if I should make adjustments
in wall thickness, pedestal measurements, etc.  I was just wondering if
anyone had any experience with stabilized wood and would share it with
me.
Thanks for your time and consideration.
Bill

mastevt

Spaulted wood makes terrible sounding calls, at least the stuff I used and experimented with.  I think it has to do with the softness of the wood, and how it absorbes the sound instead of reflecting it back to the soundboard and making it work.  I've done a fair amount of stabilized pots, and use the same dimensions as my non stabilized wooded pots, and the sound is as good if not better than the wooded pots.  The resin fills in the voids, and fibers of the spaulted woods, and puts density back into the pot.  You can feel the differance in weight with your hands between the two.  That density I think is what turns the spaulted pot into a good sounding call.  If I were you, do up one pot, using your regulare dimensions,  I'm betting you will like it.