OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scope on vent rib?

Started by USAFTurkey, September 28, 2014, 06:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USAFTurkey

I'm setting up a H&R With a vent rib barrel.  What is the best way to mount a red dot to the rib?

lowoctane

I drilled and tapped my 870 SM rib for Weaver bases and mounted a small red dot. Have had no issues in 5+ years. Don't know if I'd mount anything heavier tho... :gobble:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Old Gobbler

I think aimtech has a rib mount.
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

stinkpickle

B-Square makes a cantilever rib mount.  I just mounted one on my BPS.  I didn't need the whole thing for my FFIII, so I cut it down.  It works nicely, though...

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-bases/mount-sets/universal-cantilever-rib-mount-cantilever-rib-mount-sku122-161-750-1770-6637.aspx

allaboutshooting

Quote from: USAFTurkey on September 28, 2014, 06:58:47 PM
What is the best way to mount a red dot to the rib?

Probably very carefully. The real factor is weight of the sight. The energy generated when you touch off a full power turkey load puts a lot of stress on any mount. I've had well mounted, drilled and tapped receiver bases shoot loose. At a still target shoot last year, I saw a base with the scope mounted break loose and hit the shooter square in the middle of the forehead, cutting a very deep gash that might have knocked most people out. It only knocked him down but bled very badly and created a bad scar.

If you use a very light sight and one of the methods already outlined, you may be okay but I'd go for a well mounted receiver based sight any time. It only takes one time.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

USAFTurkey

Guess I should note that it's a single shot.  I've got a red dot I wanted to put on but have considered must a good set of fiber optic sites.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: USAFTurkey on September 30, 2014, 08:37:22 PM
Guess I should note that it's a single shot.  I've got a red dot I wanted to put on but have considered must a good set of fiber optic sites.

The Truglo "Pro-Series" sights are excellent and easily mount on the ventilated rib of most shotguns. They might be a good choice for you, if you go that route.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mnbeardbuster

B-Square mount. They make two models, depending on rib width. A monte carlo stock helps with this setup. Hope this helps. I have 3 other NEF's and those have Williams Fire Sights.

Tail Feathers

Not to hijack, but I saw an H&R gun on gunbroker the other day that was drilled and tapped from the factory.  A turkey special I think it said.
Good advice given above for your project.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

SKFOOTER

I have a B-Square Rib Mount new in the package if anyone is interested. :OGturkeyhead: