turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ported tubes & Flight Control Wads

Started by SinGin, February 08, 2011, 09:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

I thought I read somewhere one time that ported choke tubes and flight control wads don't work well together. Something about the ported part grabbing the wad to soon. Anyone have any info or personal knowlage about this? Sam

ground control

i tried a box of federal flite controls while trying new choke/load combos last year. i shot two shells and seen all i needed to convince me they dont like ported/slotted tubes. i was shooting an indian creek tube. pattern was HORRIBLE.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

Tranz

My understanding is that the ported choke grabs the wad and causes a wobble...making for inconsistent patterns. My Benelli gained kill zone pellet count by switching to a non ported choke.

mcgruff1533

Federal suggests the use of more "open" chokes when shooting their Flite Control wads.     After firing close to 50 rounds of various Flite Control equipped shells (3", 3,5" with payloads of 1.75 and 2 ounces of #4 or #6 lead) I've come to the following conclusions:

#1. Not all shotguns are created equal.

#2. Some shotguns actually patterns with tighter chokes.

#3. Certain ported chokes have little, to no impact on the pattern itself.

For my particular shotgun, a Mossberg 535 Tactical Turkey with a 20" barrel. Tighter chokes seem to pattern much better.   I've fired Flite Control equipped shells through .670" ported and non-ported tubes, .665" non ported, .660" non ported and a .643" ported tube.    My tightest, most consistent pattern came from the ported choke with the smallest exit diameter.

Of course, YMMV.

wildturk

I have shot a ported mad max choke in my beretta pintail for years. And it shoots good consistent patterns with federal flight control #4's.  However every gun and shell combo is different.

SinGin

I've been looking around and all I can find are ported tubes to handle the hevi shots. Anyone know where to get a quality choke tube thats not ported to handle hevi shots?

FullChoke

Quote from: SinGin on February 09, 2011, 02:27:45 PM
I've been looking around and all I can find are ported tubes to handle the hevi shots. Anyone know where to get a quality choke tube thats not ported to handle hevi shots?

Remington Super Full Choke tubes. They should say that they are compatible with heavier than lead shot on the side.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

ElkTurkMan

I shot FFCW shell for years through a TRU-GLO ported choke, and never had any issues.  It patterned well for me,and I shot a few birds with that combo without any issues.  I would still be using them if I hadn't switched to Hevi 13. The choke was .665.