Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkeys in fall and scouting for spring

Started by Msbowhunter76, September 25, 2014, 10:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Msbowhunter76

This will be the first year I'll have time to scout turkeys early. Never knew where I was getting to hunt.
Will scouting this time of year and through the rest of fall and winter help me in the spring Thanks to all!

Halfski

Fall can be a good time to learn the terrain.  Look for roost trees and watering holes.  Also small creeks (which tend to funnel turkeys in Spring and Fall).  Fences (because you won't want a fence between you and a gobbler in the Spring).  Breaks in fences (which can be great spots to set up in the Spring).  Trails (especially areas where trails intersect).  If you find a trail from a roost tree to a field, that would probably be a great spot in the Spring.   

jblackburn

Quote from: Halfski on September 25, 2014, 05:54:10 PM
Fall can be a good time to learn the terrain.  Look for roost trees and watering holes.  Also small creeks (which tend to funnel turkeys in Spring and Fall).  Fences (because you won't want a fence between you and a gobbler in the Spring).  Breaks in fences (which can be great spots to set up in the Spring).  Trails (especially areas where trails intersect).  If you find a trail from a roost tree to a field, that would probably be a great spot in the Spring.

I mostly agree with this, especially learning the terrain.  No substitute for good woodsmanship.

However, my experience has been that the birds have different patterns in the summer and fall than in the spring. 

Examples:  I grew up in central Missouri and on our farm we would have turkeys everywhere in the summer and fall, but spring you would rarely hear a gobble or see a bird.

I lived in Oklahoma for a while: Rios have definite home ranges in different times of the year.  They gather in huge fall/winter flocks.  They bust up in early spring and cover huge amounts of ground.

But, I still agree that you should get out an learn the place (or learn it better!)
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Msbowhunter76

Thanks for the responses.
I think I'll just spend some time in the woods and enjoy myself. Learning terrain in the fall and winter is easier without a doubt. I know that the food sources change and they get into their winter flocks. Might even try the fall hunting thing this year. After a few years of chasing turkeys, the Good Lord blessed me with my first gobbler back in April. A goodin' too...four beards. Ruined for life now!

J Hook Max

Good advice from Halfski. It is a great time to learn the woods. However, whether turkeys will remain there until and through spring can be a crapshoot. If the food supply lasts, there will be some remain. If not, they will move.
Also, as spring progresses, they will move where they like to nest. It may be in the same general area or could be even a few miles apart.
Anytime is a good time to scout turkeys but it is not a substitute for preseason scouting.
Also, this time of year, they will be in large flocks. These flocks will bust up just before spring season and some of the birds will move to new areas.