OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alternatives to hevi-13

Started by chatterbox, March 19, 2011, 07:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Ok, I'll be the first to admit I jumped on the hevi-13 bandwagon.
Now, If I can't get good patterns out of the newer shells I bought, I'm in a pickle.
I have tried the 3'' win supreme elites with limited success, and I wonder if the 3.5's would shoot decent out of a 20" barrel.
I have heard, and was wondering if 3.5's don't pattern well out of short barreled guns.
Is this a myth, or does it entail more trips to the patterning board to see.

jebs chokes

jebs chokes WE are not having problems pattering any shells . Rem/win/hevi/nitro/fed/kent/fieocy/S&b /hand loads.lead /copper/bismath/nicole/hevi/. 2.75/3"/3.5" old or new.Wish you could come to Hazlehurst to shoot with us Chatter box turkeyhunter

frank1969

Gobble!

Before you get new shells try the shells from em. If you go with the Winchester xtr shells your patterns still won't be that much better then the em #7s.
What kind of choke are you using?

turkeytromp

VAHUNTER

i bet i looked at 25 to 30 patterns today. just about all of them where made by H13. I did not see one pattern that i would not take to the woods.
Good things come to those who wait

hookedspur

NOT EVERYONES having patterning problems !!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hunttherut

I switched from lead to hevi magnum blend this year and they pattern amazing in my gym.  I keep hearing people complaining about this years batch of heavy, but I still haven't seen anything come close to performing the way Hevis do.  With that said, I have not tried Nitros and won't for that price.

drum817

Winchester Xtended, NITRO or start hand loading (which is what i'm gonna do)  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: drum817 on March 19, 2011, 06:21:30 PM
Winchester Xtended, NITRO or start hand loading (which is what i'm gonna do)  :icon_thumright:

Best reliable options !
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

OLE RASPY

joshua

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 19, 2011, 06:11:45 PM
i bet i looked at 25 to 30 patterns today. just about all of them where made by H13. I did not see one pattern that i would not take to the woods.

:agreed: X2
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

chatterbox

Thanks for the imput guys. I haven't scrapped the idea of hevi-13 totally. I'm going to the range a week from tuesday, and I will see what the ol' girl does then! If I can get numbers I'm used to, then I will consider myself good to go!

longspur

Quote from: OLE RASPY on March 20, 2011, 12:01:50 AM
Quote from: hookedspur on March 19, 2011, 06:17:14 PM
NOT EVERYONES having patterning problems !!
x2

Who knows if I'm having a patterning problem or not. Didn't shoot the 7s last year and haven't saw the results of any compairison. 835, IC675, HS 3.5 - 2.25 - #7 - 277 and 284. I don't see a problem but I'm curious if last years shells would put higher #s. Not that I think I need them just curious.

bird

Last years H-13 7's numbers were out of this world and this years loads may not be the same for some people but they still throw patterns that a sane person cannot walk away from.  H-13 is still one of the best turkey load options on the market without a doubt.

When I first got into turkey hunting YEARS ago one of the first things that I learned was to make sure you pattern your gun.  Find the best shell & choke combo for the gun that you want to shoot.  And when you find that combination that makes you happy, "Go out and buy as many shells with the same lot number as you think you could possibly need as the ammo can and will change in pattern from lot to lot."  Now I was told this over 20 years ago and the same thing holds true today.  If you find that shell & choke combo that makes you all giddy like a little school girls then you better go buy more of the same lot number cause there is a good chance that you won't get the same exact results with another lot number in the future.

Same thing happens with automobiles.  Why is it that a 1986 Ford 150 302 V-8 5.0 liter engine able to get 20+ miles per gallon on the highway but no other newer F150 with the same engine ever able to achieve such mileage.  Ford won't tell you.....

Its no different than allot things in life.....

bird