turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Versa Max

Started by uk.turkey.hunter, October 15, 2014, 12:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uk.turkey.hunter

Fellow longbeardme (this does include all the ladies as well), I've just made a purchase of the Versa Max from a local BPS. I'm still in the honeymoon phase of the purchase meaning I haven't shot the gun yet. Before I shoot the piece of awesomeness, I need help setting this gun up for the ole long beard meaning recommended choke tubes (possibly to shoot any type of shot), slings, gun cleaning products (I use bore snakes on my other fire arms along with cleaner) or anything I'm not thinking of. This is not my first rodeo but I must say that my previous gun of choice was a Mossberg 500 did the job BUT I'm tired of the old mule kick. Good gun and will keep the thing around just as a reliable back up. I feel like I've stepped up to the "big leagues" but as I have been taught, don't be afraid to ask questions. With that being said, I come to you ole wise ones seeking insights, personal experiences, etc.

outdoors

:welcomeOG:

DID YOU GET THE Remington VERSA MAX SPST 12 22 RS TKMO
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

uk.turkey.hunter

No. I got the regular versa max 28" blk syn.

the Ward

:wagon:          I don't have any first hand info to pass on to you but there are some members here who are shooting the versa and seem like they really like them a lot. It's kinda the slow time of year around here so if you don't get a lot of response's don't sweat it. Try checking out the pattern pics section to see if there are some versa patterns there. You might also check with William at Sumtoy He can certainly get you headed in the right direction as far as chokes and loads for it. Congrats on a fine shotgun and good luck in your quest!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: uk.turkey.hunter on October 15, 2014, 12:27:07 PM
I need help setting this gun up for the ole long beard meaning recommended choke tubes (possibly to shoot any type of shot), slings, gun cleaning products (I use bore snakes on my other fire arms along with cleaner) or anything I'm not thinking of.

Congratulations! The Versa Max is a fine shotgun. I have fired that gun extensively, thanks to the generosity of the good folks at Remington.

I shot one of the first production models, as well as a tool room gun, with a variety of shells. I was also able to shoot that gun at it's introduction at the "Grand" http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=417

It utilizes several of the Benelli M4 features that make that gun so desirable. Many of those patents have expired and Remington seized upon the technology to make a very reliable shotgun.

It features  the "Pro Bore" barrel and choke system with chokes threaded near the muzzle, again very much like Benelli and Beretta shotguns. The barrel is slightly overbored and it does not accept traditional Rem-Choke threaded chokes.

The good news is that you can shoot that gun for many, many rounds and never have to worry about it fouling or failing to fire. It's a reliable gun.

Traditional gun cleaning products work quite well. I'd encourage you to deep clean the bore. That process helps every gun and will help you patterns.

With any gun that has chokes threaded close to the muzzle, it's very important to make sure your chokes stay seated. You do not want gas escaping around the skirt of your choke. That can cause serious problems.

Turkey chokes for that gun were a problem early on but now several makers have stepped up to the challenge and make them. JEB's has real customer loyalty and I get very positive feedback from the shooters who use them.

Most of the Versa Max shooters that I know use 3" shells for turkeys, Hevi-13 in #6 or #7 has been a favorite but the Magnum Blend shells have come on very strong in the last year. All of the clays loads from Winchester, Remington, Federal, Rio, Fiocchi and others work well in that gun.

Again, congratulations on an excellent choice that should provide you with many years of shooting enjoyment.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

uk.turkey.hunter

Mr Clark, thanks for taking the time to respond. Also, I hear a big congrats is in order to the wife on a championship!

uk.turkey.hunter

Does anyone know about the haymaker choke?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: uk.turkey.hunter on October 16, 2014, 09:37:35 PM
Mr Clark, thanks for taking the time to respond. Also, I hear a big congrats is in order to the wife on a championship!

I'll pass along your congratulations to her. You're certainly welcome for my response and I'll always be of any help possible.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Racer1

I love my VersaMax!  I set mine up with a Sumtoy choke based on things I read on this forum.  I was not disappointed!  Great even pattern and did the deed this past season.  I would recommend giving them a call.  I shot 3.5 inch #6 Longbeard shells through that set up.  Hope you enjoy your VM as much as I do!

SumToy

That gun will like the 665 range choke.  It will do good with Win LB or HV 13.    :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Assault

I own 2 vmax! I have a 2010 Versamax blk syn, and a 2014 versamax waterfowl pro. Love them both. I use a Hevi-13 turkey choke (2010 model vmax).  Holds a very good pattern out to 50yrds. To add, I'm a big fan of HEVI-SHOT brand chokes. In my waterfowl pro, I use their mid range for duck and squirrel hunting.

If its up high, it's coming to the ground