turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester sxp

Started by Swampchickin234, August 04, 2014, 10:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampchickin234

Anybody have any experience with the sxp? Got my eye on em, and they feel pretty smooth, and fit me pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on August 04, 2014, 10:38:02 PM
Anybody have any experience with the sxp? Got my eye on em, and they feel pretty smooth, and fit me pretty well.

That's one of those guns that I just don't hear much about. It's very similar to the older Winchester pump guns but has an Invector+ bore.

I handled one and shot one a few years ago when they were going to market it under the "Speed Pump" name. Those guns never made it to the market. They made some changes and renamed it the SXP, to capitalize on the SX3 brand. Patrick Flanigan shot one for a while when he was sponsored by Winchester.

I'm sure there must be some folks on here who have that gun and if so, they will surely let you know their experiences with it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Swampchickin234

Mr Clark, I appreciate the reply.  And yes, I hope someone knows a little something.  I can't find any bad reveiws on the gun, but then a reveiw is simply an opinion. Hoping to get some help from some who have either shot, or own one.  I don't know why, but I just liked the feel of the gun.  Just know nothing about it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on August 04, 2014, 11:02:13 PM
Mr Clark, I appreciate the reply.  And yes, I hope someone knows a little something.  I can't find any bad reveiws on the gun, but then a reveiw is simply an opinion. Hoping to get some help from some who have either shot, or own one.  I don't know why, but I just liked the feel of the gun.  Just know nothing about it.

I'd be happy to e-mail Patrick and get his opinion of the gun. He shoot thousands and thousands of 2.75" shells through his guns each year, so he could certainly comment about its durability and handling.

I'll do that and see what he has to say about it. I'll let you know what I hear.

Thanks,
Clark

Swampchickin234

That would be great mr Clark!  Much appreciated

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on August 05, 2014, 10:37:50 AM
That would be great mr Clark!  Much appreciated

Patrick and I missed each other several times. He's having the busiest season of his career in 2014 and already getting ready for a new gun and 2015.

We were finally able to make contact, late one evening and I was able to get his feedback on the SXP.

He actually shot that gun the first year of its production. Prior to that of course he'd been shooting the SX3 and a Winchester 1300 in his shows, all over the U.S.

He much prefers the older 1300 to the SXP. It never felt well balanced in his hands. He wanted me to know however that it could be a matter of personal taste and just how a gun feels to any one individual.

Patrick shoots his guns very hard. His shows last for at least a couple of hours and they are usually night after night, plus all of the hours and hours of practice he puts in. He takes good care of his guns, cleaning them and keeping them lubricated, etc. but they are much used. To hold up under the type of use he makes of them takes a tough gun.

I don't think Patrick has shot the SXP in quite some time. He started shooting the Mossberg 500 a couple of years ago, along with a Mossberg 930 and the SX3.

The Winchester SX3 and the Mossberg 930,  Jerry Miculek also uses the Mossberg 930 in his 3 gun shoots,  are tough guns.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark

Swampchickin234

Appreciate it mr Clark! 

gatrkyhntr70

Between my son and I we had 3 of them. All 3 of them had the heaviest trigger Ive ever seen on any gun. All 3 of them also didnt shoot straight.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

owlhoot

Shot another one with a crazy heavy trigger and add in some creep, slack and overtravel.

Shot some patterns, none good.
POI  not good.

They need some work. Take an old 1300 over them anyday.

mossyhorn9

I bought one last year for turkey season. I put a trueglo red dot, hevi choke with #6 hevi 13 and was very pleased with the pattern out to 50 yards. I killed two birds with it last year and couldn't be happier.