turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trulock Fed 7 choke w/ Winchester LongBeards

Started by decoykrvr, July 18, 2014, 03:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

I'm setting up a gun for a friend and am trying to cover bases w/ a choke tube. I think that the Trulock Federal 7 choke tube has an ID of .650 which is  similar to some of the chokes designed for the Winchester LongBeards.  I would appreciate any results, observations, evaluations, comments on shooting the LB's out of the Trulock Fed 7 choke tube.

Longshanks

:angel9:
Quote from: decoykrvr on July 18, 2014, 03:10:12 PM
I'm setting up a gun for a friend and am trying to cover bases w/ a choke tube. I think that the Trulock Federal 7 choke tube has an ID of .650 which is  similar to some of the chokes designed for the Winchester LongBeards.  I would appreciate any results, observations, evaluations, comments on shooting the LB's out of the Trulock Fed 7 choke tube.

Shooting Fed 7's out of that choke will cover all the bases at the patterning board and in the turkey woods. Worth the extra money per shell which is about $3 more per shell. Only going to shoot 2-3 turkey every year, generally, so the extra cost is minimal compared to gas, food, etc.. Better patterns inside 25 yds with the fed 7's and devastating results at 40yds. No problems at 45 if you misjudge distance. Much more likely to miss up close with LB's. That is a quality choke and it is designed specifically to maximize patterns with Fed 7's. Research has been done, if it were me I would go with Trulock recommendations. I've seen the patterns out of that choke with Fed HW 7's and they are awesome. You can turn good patterns @ 40 with Win LB's out of allot of different chokes including that one I would imagine but you have a fed HW 7's hotrod there.  Choke made specifically for one shell..that's rare..I've shot allot of turkeys with Fed 7's, 12g and 20g, and a few with Win LB's. Big difference between Fed HW 7's and lead shot. Fed 7's will absolutely level a turkey.  Good luck with the set up and there hasn't been allot of results posted with that choke or the choke they make for Win Longbeards. Interested to hear your results.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: decoykrvr on July 18, 2014, 03:10:12 PM

I have all 3 of the Trulock LB (#4, #5, #6 shot) chokes to evaluate as well as the Trulock choke made for #7 Federal Heavyweight shot shells.

I'll be shooting them through several Rem-Choke threaded barrels on different Remington guns.

We've been on the road a good bit at still target shoots, etc. and I've not yet been able to take them to the range but as soon as I do, I'll publish my results and put a link here.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI have all 3 of the Trulock LB (#4, #5, #6 shot) chokes to evaluate as well as the Trulock choke made for #7 Federal Heavyweight shot shells.

I'll be shooting them through several Rem-Choke threaded barrels on different Remington guns.

That sounds like a lot of fun Clark.  Good research right there.  Please post up all the results!!!

allaboutshooting

QuoteThat sounds like a lot of fun Clark.  Good research right there.  Please post up all the results!!!

Those chokes are on my bench and I've had all the shells for months, now I just need to find some time to take them to the range for an actual evaluation.

Thanks,
Clark

Carp

SKFOOTER

allaboutshooting

You can see the results of the Trulock Long Beard Chokes with the WLB shells here http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=724

I have the Trulock Turkey choke designed for the Federal #7 Heavyweight shot shells but have not taken that one to the range due to time and weather conditions.

I have the Federal 3rd Degree shells to evaluate and may well try that choke with them and I could put some WLB shells through that choke as well. Range time is pretty tough to find right now however. It looks like we may get some decent weather next week and maybe I'll be able to catch up on several projects that are way behind.

Thanks,
Clark

SKFOOTER

Clark, the original poster wanted to know the results of patterning the LongBeard loads thru a Trulock Heavyweight 7 choke tube. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 06, 2015, 08:50:37 PM
Clark, the original poster wanted to know the results of patterning the LongBeard loads thru a Trulock Heavyweight 7 choke tube.

Yes, I saw that. I have the Trulock #7 Heavyweight choke and may be able to try some WLB shells as well as the 3rd Degree shells through it the next time I go to the range.

Thanks,
Clark

Wolfey

Just figured I'd test these today cause some of u guys were curious. Some LB 5s and 6s out of the Trulock federal choke.

decoykrvr

Per my original post, I ordered the Trulock Fed 7 choke since my friend had obtained several boxes of the Fed HW 7's to shoot out of his Ithaca Mod 37, King Ferry/ Turkeyslayer.  The combo produced great 40 yard patterns w/ a dense 10" core and even 20" distribution.  This spring we evaluated the gun/Trulock Fed 7, .650 choke w/ the LB 3", 6's and 5's.  The patterns were the best 40 yard factory lead patterns which I have seen  in over 45 years of evaluating shotgun patterns w/ emphasis on turkey loads for the last 35 years.  Based upon the pattern density and uniformity at 40 yards w/ the Winchester LB shells, my friend is hunting this year w/ a LB #6 in the chamber and two #5's in the magazine despite his hunting success w/ the Fed HW 7's last year.  We both agreed that w/ the increased cost and potential unavailability of the Federal HW shells in the future, it made sense to hunt w/ and become confident w/ a lead turkey load which offers reasonable cost, great availability, and phenomenal  patterns.

yella yelper

Quote from: decoykrvr on April 20, 2015, 11:11:45 AM
We both agreed that w/ the increased cost and potential unavailability of the Federal HW shells in the future, it made sense to hunt w/ and become confident w/ a lead turkey load which offers reasonable cost, great availability, and phenomenal  patterns.

So you're not going to use the Federals based in part by the POTENTIAL unavailability in the FUTURE?   

decoykrvr

As a component of our discussion, I told my friend of several hunters I knew who had patterned their guns and hunted exclusively w/ the Winchester Extended Range shells which were subsequently discontinued, which necessitated them finding existing inventory or finding "new" hunting loads for their guns, re-sighting, etc. When I advised my friend to "stockup" on the Federal HW shells as I have done w/ the EM Hevi-13, 3" and 31/2", 6's and 7's which is what I hunt with, he asked,"Why?  We know how the Winchester LongBeards perform in my gun and that Winchester isn't going to discontinue that shell anytime soon and they're all I need out to 40+ yards. I would rather shoot and hunt w/ a load that is more affordable and widely available now and in the future."  I have to agree w/ him, since my only problem with the Winchester LB is their marketing hype.