turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Steve Mann and his box calls

Started by DMP, June 28, 2014, 06:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

Steve wanted a simple video to show some of his calls and how he uses them. 

Hope to do another one outside to get a more realistic sound.

Will have a paddle call video by the end of the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2aJdRh46yI

ccleroy

sbbow

That is very nice. Gonna help a lot since I have never used a box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmck

That's a great demo from a great maker no doubt- Steve's calls are some of the best.
The southern accent is top shelf also Steve.... :TooFunny:
If ya don't have a call from this MASTER of the art- ya need one !!

hunter22

When it comes to box calls, Steve Mann is definitely one of the "Big Boys" in callmaking. I wonder why guys like Mann, Dawkins, Albert Paul & Lamar Williams don't compete at the National level?? I am not sure if they ever have.

nitro

Perhaps because they don't want to have to give a bunch of calls to the NWTF??? (For free)..??

I know three of the four callmakers you mentioned personally and own calls from all four. The Gentlemen I know take more personal pride in knowing that they build superior products for hunters.. that is better than any number of medals or awards.

The quality of their work sells more calls than anything else could. All of them have lengthy wait lists.. nuf said??
Royal Slam 2008

sbbow

Darrin Dawkins makes box calls ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter22

Darrin makes some of the finest short and long boxes out there in my opinion. 

Yoder409

Quote from: sbbow on June 28, 2014, 04:42:08 PM

Dude .............................     :o

IMHO, nobody, NOBODY makes a Cost-style short box with as much attention to fit & finish as Darin.  His calls will also play right along side ANY of the bigger names.

This is in NO WAY a shot at or disrespect to any of the other legendary artists.  I just look at one of Darin's calls and see where a super-fussy craftsman took some extra time to smooth and blend the finer details.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Britton40

Quote from: Yoder409 on June 28, 2014, 05:03:46 PM
Quote from: sbbow on June 28, 2014, 04:42:08 PM

Dude .............................     :o

IMHO, nobody, NOBODY makes a Cost-style short box with as much attention to fit & finish as Darin.  His calls will also play right along side ANY of the bigger names.

This is in NO WAY a shot at or disrespect to any of the other legendary artists.  I just look at one of Darin's calls and see where a super-fussy craftsman took some extra time to smooth and blend the finer details.

I've never held one of Darrin's or Lamar's. Marlin does some beautiful engraving/scrollwork or whatever you call it. Ive only held one and it was a paddle call.

I know Steve puts a lot of extra time in his calls with the inlays, laminated bottoms, hand sanding, buffing. It's truly amazing how much time goes into just the final finish of his calls. Not even counting the weeks he spends tuning them. 

Steve's calls have a certain resonance or ring to them that I've never heard in any other call except for a Cost. It's really pronounced in the cherry butternut on the video.

I've never run one Darrin's or Lamar's short boxes so I can't compare them to a Mann made short box.  I do know that Steve's sound slightly better than the two Cost boxes I own. 

Everybody's idea of how a box call should sound is different though.

nitro

FWIW,

I hunt with a Steve Mann Paddle call. Never leave the rig without one... The hard part is deciding which one...... bad problem for a fella to have. ;D
Royal Slam 2008

outdoors

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP , REAL NICE . . . . . . .
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Britton40

Quote from: nitro on June 28, 2014, 07:28:06 PM
FWIW,

I hunt with a Steve Mann Paddle call. Never leave the rig without one... The hard part is deciding which one...... bad problem for a fella to have. ;D

Know what u mean.

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

Britton40