turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tube call length?

Started by the Ward, June 13, 2014, 01:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

This may be a stupid question, but i'll ask it anyways and take my lumps lol! I just got into using a tube call the last couple of years and had pretty good success with it. I was wondering why most all the tubes I see are really short in length? Can they be made longer and still sound good? Reason I'm asking is sometimes I have a hard time cupping my hands on the end of the call and I thought if it was a little longer it would be easier to manipulate. Thanks for any info/advice you can pass along!

pappy

Noone has the right to make fun of anyone asking a question about call/s and how they are used. Your question is a good one, as the length of a tube call is often the subject of discussion. Does it effect the sound according to the length, not as much as you think, what it does do, is create a directional effect, I have seen some callers in contests take a short hollow tube and place it infront of their tube call when they are running it to simulate the turkey as if it was changing the direction of its head looking for the hen. I have made several different lengths, any where from 2-1/4" to 4=1/2" in length. With the longer lengths having a bell on the end, something to hold onto, if you have a tube that you feel is too short, or can't hold properly, get with the call maker and I bet they will make one that will fit your needs.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

turkeyfanatic

Best sounding tube call I have is short.

barry

I've used tube calls exclusively for the past 19 years. Like pappy said most any length tube will work but for my preference anywhere from 2'' - 2 1/2'' in height is good with 2 1/2'' being ideal.

I dabble in making tubes from tin cans and as you can see they come in many different lengths.

the Ward

Thank you Gentlemen for your replies, they were very informative. The call I have now is very short and it doe's have a good sound to it. I think I may need to try a baffled call to see if that will help and may try a slightly longer call too. I'm just real inconsistent with it, I will get a great sound one time and the next call I will make horrid noises lol! I do practice with it quite a bit and been thinking it is my air control that's causing it, so maybe a baffle/longer tube will help some getting me more consistent. Thanks again for the replies!         :thanks:

pappy

the Ward.........send me a PM with your mailing address. I have something I would like you to try....
pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

barry

He's gonna like that pappy

the Ward

I just got finished moving and just got our internet hooked up and running again. Sent ya a p.m. Pappy. That is real beauty of a call!!        :drool: