OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gift Gun Suggestions

Started by Walleyehawger, March 18, 2011, 05:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleyehawger

I am looking to get a friend of mine a new gun as a graduation gift. He owns the property where I am allowed to hunt with my father. Unfortunately I cannot afford an SBE or the like. What suggestions can you guys give for a nice dedicated turkey gun. I would like to go new. Giving a used gun, though it might be a "better" one for the money, just seems a bit off.

Wycliff

Why not get a 835 ressonably priced and a proven turkey killer

J Gilbert

What about a Super Nova?  You can get the steadigrip stock for it and it's a good gun, my dad loves his.  An 870 is another good choice as well

BrowningGuy88

If I was gonna buy a friend a turkey gun, it would be down to two choices.

If he has other shotguns, Mossberg 835 Turkey Tactical.

If he did not have another shotgun, Remington 870 Supermag Bottomland Waterfowl/Turkey with 26"barrel.

Now that is if I was spending my own hard earned money! If I can spend yours..... the possibilities are endless.

Daman

SKFOOTER

What about the new Stoeger 3500??

grousec

You memtioned can't affoed SBE.  So I agree get him a Stoger 3500.  Had one in my hands the other day.  If I were going to buy a gun right now to turkey hunt with it would be the one and it does shoot 3 1/2".

bbcoach

My two choices would be an 870 or 835.  Both are proven Turkey Killers and can be had for around $300-350.

I have an 835 that I purchased at Walmart that came with a 24" Turkey barrel and a 28" barrel for Duck/Dove etc and it didn't break the bank.  If your local Walmart sells guns, check there special order catalog and see if they have something you like.

jtg88

If your wanting to give him a dedicated turkey gun I'd go with an 870 or 11-87 with a sureshot stock, 23" barrel, and rifle sights.  If you've got the money go ahead and put an Indian Creek or Pure Gold choke in it for him.

TScottW99

I agree with the Remington 870 supermag from wally world with a Pure Gold choke tube would be....   :z-winnersmiley:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

sugarray

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 18, 2011, 12:02:31 PM
A full camo 870 SM can be had at walmart for $347 + Tax, you won't get a better shooting gun, for a better price.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

joshua

A full camo 870 SM can be had at walmart for $347 + Tax, you won't get a better shooting gun, for a better price.
:agreed: X2
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

njdevilsb

I agree, the 870 would be a great choice.

mountman62

REMINGTON, REMINGTON
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

hobbes

Quote from: Walleyehawger on March 18, 2011, 05:14:19 AM
........... He owns the property where I am allowed to hunt ....................................

Then I'd buy him a coyote rifle, an over and under bird gun.........anything but a turkey gun.

hookedspur

Quote from: J Gilbert on March 18, 2011, 09:24:31 AM
What about a Super Nova?  You can get the steadigrip stock for it and it's a good gun, my dad loves his.  An 870 is another good choice as well
:agreed:  :agreed:  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions