OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Glass over slate

Started by Gobbler2577, June 02, 2014, 04:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbler2577

Here is a call I made Saturday.  Picture doesn't do it justice.  Probably the most beautiful piece of wood I've ever worked. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

| Justin |

Very nice... and agreed, that is a beautiful piece of wood.

Is this a soundboardless call?  Looking though the sound holes it looks like maybe there is no pedestal?

West Augusta

You made a pretty call there.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Gobbler2577

Justin, there is a pedestal and a slate soundboard.  Failed to say it is maple burl, but I suppose that's fairly obvious.  Still learning and was afraid to glue it up because it was too pretty to find out that it sounded bad.  Fortunately it turned out to be one of the best yet.  Don't know how it would compare to ones made by others, but it's exactly the sound I want.

Rick Howard

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on June 02, 2014, 08:48:18 PM
Don't know how it would compare to ones made by others, but it's exactly the sound I want.

Perfection. 

TarheelTurk

Great Job and awesome looking!

Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

mastevt

Great look call!  Is it stabilized?

Gobbler2577

Well I may show my ignorance, but no, I didn't stabilize it.  My practice so far has been to only stabilize punky wood and this burl is very sound.  I guess if it moves I will have learned my lesson!

mastevt

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on June 04, 2014, 10:43:35 AM
Well I may show my ignorance, but no, I didn't stabilize it.  My practice so far has been to only stabilize punky wood and this burl is very sound.  I guess if it moves I will have learned my lesson!

It'll be fine.  I only stabilize spaulted and punky woods myself too.  I did stabilize a highly burled honey locust that still had some bark left on it, but I did it for the bark.