OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is the burris fast fire II for me?

Started by derek, February 08, 2011, 07:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

2 seasons ago I finally broke down and bought a dedicated turkey gun.  In these past 2 seasons, out of 18 birds I pulled the trigger on, 5 of them.. well, I missed.  All the time and effort I put into these things, while it happens and I'm not going to sweat it, I want to improve and reduce these occurrences. 

2 of these misses were 'longer' 45-50 yards, but I know my gun is capable of killing a turkey that far, I likely blame this on flinching when I pulled the trigger, which I don't think a site will correct. 

1 of these was a gobbler that snuck in behind me quiet and close, had me picked out before I saw him.. tried to move and shoot him as he was getting out.. would the quicker target acquisition advertised with the Burris ff2 help on a shot like this?  I worry about the sight hindering the ability to throw up and get on target like you could with open sights, but at the same time, only having one dot to worry about rather than lining up back and front sights could be a plus.  Thoughts?

2 of these were flat out lay ups.  25 yard birds, all the time in the world, got excited, possibly lifted my head and likely shot over them.  This is where I think the Burris could help significantly, as if I'm correct, the gun is going to hit where the dot is.  If I lift my head too much I'll know it and correct it. 

Right now I'm shooting a tru glo gobble dot pro.  I have a few complaints about how small the front bead is in comparison to the back and was looking at other sights particularly the williams firesight when I started looking in the direction of the burris/mueller/etc.  My hesitations are having to look through a scope, which in my mind would make target acquisition more difficult.. but is it?  Does this sound like something that could help someone like me?  Appreciate the help. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

bird

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Go for it!  You won't be sorry.

sugarray

It sounds like a holographic site is for you.  Put your head down, dot on neck and bang, dead turkey.

Now I like the CQB reticle on the Mueller Quick shot.  Little bigger than the FF II, but with 4 different reticles.  Also, about $100 cheaper.  What ever you decide, it will be a great decision and you will be happy.

gophert

I know your pain.....I too hunted with the gobble dot pro sites and missed a nice one at 15 yards last year.  I am still dealing with the pain to this day. 

My 870 now sports a FFII for this season!!!!!!!!  I refuse to be insulted any longer by those loud mouth birds!!!   :fud:

gobbler74

Quote from: gophert on February 08, 2011, 08:06:31 PM
I know your pain.....I too hunted with the gobble dot pro sites and missed a nice one at 15 yards last year.  I am still dealing with the pain to this day. 

My 870 now sports a FFII for this season!!!!!!!!  I refuse to be insulted any longer by those loud mouth birds!!!   :fud:

:icon_thumright:

Hey gopher you know in this turkey hunting game that insult is never ending...Turkeys have more personalities that any critter alive..most are wise guys!
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

BowBendr

Quote from: derek on February 08, 2011, 07:21:12 PM
....out of 18 birds I pulled the trigger on....

I'm glad you're on our team.

GODS of THUNDER baby !!!   :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:

wilks

I went to the ff2 2 years ago and best move I ever made. I used to use truglo mag gobbler but the fibers seem very fragile to me.
My 50+yr old eyes had trouble focusing 3 objects at the same time, turkey,front and rear sight. FF2 works so well for me I just bought another for my new sbe2 I got for christmas. Now I just gotta find time to shoot it. I just got the barrel and trigger back from Rob Roberts so I'm excited to see how it shoots.
If any of you guys bow hunt, I need advice on what to do with my bow... having the same problem with focusing thru the peep.
Hell getting old!

Mailman

I love my FF2's. Haven't missed but once and that was my fault. I know I anticipate the shot going off quite often. One way I found this out for sure was I was aiming at a turkey, pulled the trigger, the gun barrel jumped and the gun never went off! I had forgotten to take off the safety!!!! However after taking off the safety I harvested that bird.
One Shot One Kill

BurrisOptics

I'll try to answer some of your questions. 

A red dot will help you with your head lifting problem which is pretty common.  Your pattern will hit wherever the dot is.  No dot? No dead bird.  It's as easy as that.  Dot on melon?  Bird in the freezer. 

Another nice part about using a red dot is that if you need to reach out there pretty far and compensate for drop you can do that without covering your target with your barrel. 

You will find that the ability to mount the FF low on your receiver via the Marlin mount or via a SpeedBead setup will allow you a very quick dot and target acquisition when you need that quick shot.  The SpeedBead is the best solution for such a situation as its intended for wing shooting and sits at the gun's natural vent rib sight plane.  In other words, it sits nice and low.  Using a red dot mounted on a weaver or picatinny rail will raise that sight plane and may or may not be slightly more difficult to pick up the dot.  In most cases you will find that it is definitely higher.  At the very least it will be higher than your natural cheek weld will allow and therefore requiring some adjustment.  That's just the nature of the beast whether you use our sights or someone else's. 

Will a red dot help you?  Absolutely.  Don't worry about target acquistion.  You won't even know its there. 

The only downside?  You have no excuse for missing birds now.   ;D

derek

Really appreciate the help fellas.  Clarification is always nice, thinking I'm gonna go for it.   :you_rock:
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

gophert

Quote from: gobbler74 on February 09, 2011, 12:11:24 AM
Quote from: gophert on February 08, 2011, 08:06:31 PM

:icon_thumright:

Hey gopher you know in this turkey hunting game that insult is never ending...Turkeys have more personalities that any critter alive..most are wise guys!

Jim, I am still VERY bitter.....I may even shoot one of those birds family members!

paladin

I feel your pain gophert. It is like they are trying to humiliate you. Kind of like that teacher that would call on you when she knew you had not done your home work.
But we are suppose to be dicussing fastfire and holo sights. I am falling in love with mine right now.
"have gun-will travel"

SKFOOTER

Who has the best prices on the Burris SpeedBead????  I need one for my Benelli M1.

wilks

I agree with the comments on the speed bead, that was my first choice when considering purchase but... It's not waterproof.
That sent me to the fastfire 2. I've been real happy with mine.
Just thought u might want to consider this.

BurrisOptics

Quote from: wilks on February 10, 2011, 07:40:01 AM
I agree with the comments on the speed bead, that was my first choice when considering purchase but... It's not waterproof.
That sent me to the fastfire 2. I've been real happy with mine.
Just thought u might want to consider this.

The SpeedBead IS waterproof.  If the FastFire is waterproof so is the SpeedBead because they are the same exact sight.  They just mount differently. 

I don't want to come off as aggressive about this but I want to squash any misconceptions as soon as I hear them.