OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

cleaning/polishing bbl with 0000 steel wool

Started by fountain, March 17, 2011, 04:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

headed to pick up my new gun and plan to work the barell over with some steel wool on a dowel rod with my drill to clean it up a little.  i dont really have anything here to polish it with except some old wheel polish.  when i do this, do i need to remove the bbl?  i plan to sight in and then pattern with minimum shots..hopefully.  will running a good, clean bore snake through it after patterning be enough, or will i need tp run the steel wool in it again?

fountain

Come on now..I know somebody has done this and has some input

tactikel

IMHO you first want a deep cleaning (see the excellent polishing thread-much has been restored after the crash). Use the 12ga/20ga rod guide and take a bronze brush dipped in bore solvent, chucked in your drill and run it back and forth (use a cheap choke, so as not to damage a good one) re-dip the brush every 25 passes. I did 125 passes on my 835 and got a huge amount of gunk cleaned out. A proper polishing with the bronze brush covered with a scotch brite and soaked in a proper lubricant (kroil  etc.-I used wd-40 to good effect). I did 250 passes changing the pad surface every 25 passes. Finish up with a burnishing; 0000 steel wool wrapped around your bronze brush and soaked in wd-40 (or Kroil) 125 passed to give a final polishing. The barrel should be mirror brite at this point.
Total cost: $7 for the scotch brite and wd-40 from ace hardware.
Total time: 5 hour over 3 different days.

bigbuck326

i wonder  the polishing barrel sit the rest of the season and  will build the rust inside if not put the lube inside ?

VAHUNTER

Quote from: bigbuck326 on March 21, 2011, 05:33:04 AM
i wonder  the polishing barrel sit the rest of the season and  will build the rust inside if not put the lube inside ?
if you polish with J-B it will not rust. J-B puts a protective finish on your barrel that will protect it from rusting. when storing my rifles and shotguns i leave NO oil in the barrels.
oil will attract dust. dust will attract and hold moisture. moisture , well you get the picture
Good things come to those who wait

keyser12ga

I used fine bronze wool when I did mine after the green scotchbrite pad, worked well.

fountain

Never done it before...just take the bbl off and go to town?  Do the green scotch bright with wd 40 and follow that with the 0000 steel wool with wd 40 and then maybe a clean bore snake or a few dry patches?

Tom Foolery

My 835 barrel looked like it was reamed with a piece of all thread so I had to use drastic measures. 

I used a Green Scotch-Brite with valve grinding compound, then went to JB on a new Scotch-Brite pad, then went to 0000 steel wool, all coated with JB. 

Barrel is smooth and shines like a new penny now.