OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke for a cheap @$$ old timer

Started by vpsalin, May 16, 2014, 09:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpsalin

I'm pretty new to hunting in general and my hunting partner is in his 70s, very experienced deer hunter. This was his first year turkey hunting my 2nd. He didn't understand why we need turkey chokes and turkey loads to kill turkeys. If it wasn't for my guidance, the would of went into the turkey woods with a modified choke and 7.5 shot lollllllllllllllllllllll. When I told him that was a bad idea he looked at me perplexed, priceless expression on his face like if he just discovered that turkey's had super-powers or something lollll.

I gave him some 3'' #5 shot shells with the modern wads which are supposed to do ok in a regular chokes. Well turns out he missed his shot on a albino/smokey-grey tom at 35-40 yards!  :OGturkeyhead:

needless to say he wants a fancy choke now but doesn't want to spend too much. Any suggestions in the 20-40$ range for a 26'' 870?

The 665 Undertaker and 665 Rem Factory S-Full come to mind, but which one is better. Any better options in the low end spectrum?

1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

lowoctane

Remington's Ventilator will surprise you. :z-twocents:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Longshanks

Quote from: lowoctane on May 16, 2014, 10:34:38 PM

I paid 12.99 + shipping for my ventilator and it will flat shoot winchester lead 6's.

RAY

I think Tru-Glo offered a GobbleStopper and StruStopper choke priced near the H.S.Strutt Undertaker. I put the GobbleStopper in my Win SX2 and my Benelli SBE and shot Winchester Supremes and Rem Duplex loads with very good patterns. Hope this helps.

R AJ

Other chokes are the Primos Tightwad- may be perfect for a tight wad. :lol:

Consider going on ebay  from time to time as there are some bargain prices on more expensive chokes at times and the Remchoke is one of the most popular.

A 660-665 will usually make a Remington hum with #5 or #6 shot.

Did your buddy pattern his gun at 35 and 40 before he shot????

Swampchickin234

This^^^.   A 665 just shoots awful well with a Remington.  Can't beat good ol black box winchester 6s for a low cost shell.  They just flat out work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

:z-twocents:I would go with any of the OP's mentioned chokes and a box of Longbeard #6. :z-twocents:   And clean that Barrel!!!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

Quote from: lowoctane on May 16, 2014, 10:34:38 PM
:agreed: This is what I am using and have had no problems harvesting 3 birds with it this year. Fantastic choke for my 870 and at a cheap price to.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

If cheap is the order of the day; try a Ventilator, or a Jelly Head.

mikejd

I think for Remchoke Ventilator is probably the best bang for the buck. Do a search and check out some patterns.