OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Darin Dawkins //// Aluminum

Started by sbbow, May 13, 2014, 06:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbbow

What is so special about this call? I just don't know if spending a Ben Franklin on a call is good or bad.

BOB_HARWELL

It's a well made, good sounding call, I have a few of them. Darrin is a good friend of mine & I know what he puts into call making & I know what I can get out of the call so, a BF wasn't much, to me. Is it worth that,,,,,,,,,

Bob

sbbow

In talking to Darrin yesterday he only makes so many at a time 20 I be leave. Just trying to get some good or bad input before spending. I bought a WH cherry classic crystal an don't like it an these 2 calls are about the same price. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footballer

The call has a deadly rollover on the yelp. I recently tried the call and only got to use it for a weekend. Although the call sounds great, I did have issues with strikers slipping on the aluminum. I had to condition the aluminum often to prevent slipping. Also, the call seems to be very selective with strikers. Some run well on them and some do not.

Before spending that kind of money, give David Halloran's aluminum a look. Of all the aluminums calls I've tried, his may be my favorite. Very versatile call and also has a great rollover. Every striker I've run on it sounds good. 

Spitten and drummen

I have a dawkins aluminum. First thing he told me was take the pool chalk cube he sent me and chalk the striker tip with it lightly. He said that you need to apply it like this when the striker starts to slip on you. Also dont put much on it as it will effect the running of the call. This works well and i will say that this is the best aluminum i have ever ran. I take that back , i have a bill lyman aluminum in a gabon ebony pot thats right there with it. I have never heard of anyone being sorry for getting a call from him. It all comes down to what you are willing to pay.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

howl

Probably has to keep the price up to keep being overrun with orders

Tennessee Lead

I plan on picking up one for next spring.

scoot12

outdoors

HOW CAN U GET IN TOUCH WITH 'UM ,   THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

hunter22

I killed a gobbler with mine this spring.

The anodized finish was too slick for my liking and I took it off with fine sandpaper and got back to bare aluminum. I have a bunch of aluminum pot calls and I carry my Dawkins more than any other.

Darrin's # is 803-366-3305.

sbbow

I left a message on Darrin's answering machine that i wanted an aluminum call in walnut. Haven't heard anything back so I'm hoping he got it been a week now.