News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

results of 10 ga lead loads

Started by FLINT, May 12, 2014, 11:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLINT

Hi all,

I'm finally going turkey hunting this last week of the va season.  This year, all I have to hunt with is my old break action 10 ga. Stevens with 36" fixed full choke.  The gun was made in the late 70s, so I'm only going to use lead shot in it.

I obtained all of the lead loads that I could find (6 total) and shot each load once - and will never repeat that experience.  Six consecutive shots with this gun, and I literally could not use my right arm for a week. 

anyways, I'm attaching a table with my results.  None of them put up great numbers - I believe the best to be the remington 2.25 oz 4 shot, and the federal 2 oz 5 shot.  I only shot at 40 yards, and do not care to shoot them all again at other distances.

I just want you guys to check the table and verify which load you would be hunting with - and what you think the max shot distance should be. 

Thanks

R AJ

You have got to be drawing a circle first and then shooting-- I hope.
According to your #s I would not be turkey hunting with that gun.

FLINT

yeah, so I put a little orange sticker in the middle of a 48"x48" piece of paper and drew a 10" circle and a 30" circle centered around it.

however, afterwards, I did draw a 10" circle around what appeared to be the densest shot cluster - and that info. is in the chart also.

trkehunr93

I would hunt those Fed. 5's all day!  You have 288 in a 30" circle at 40, if there weren't any huge gaps in the pattern you should be fine out to 40 as long as it's a pretty open shot.  I personally look at what the 20"-30" pattern looks like in the event a gobbler were to turn as I shoot.  If you want close to 100 pellets in a 10" you need to bump up the some #6 Pb.  I think your fine where you are though.  Make your set ups bring him inside that 40 yard mark and he's dead! 

howl

"Six consecutive shots with this gun, and I literally could not use my right arm for a week.  " I lol'd. I don't know how, but those old Stevens guns are like they were made to kick the snot out of you. I even have a .410 that has a lot of recoil for a .410.

I would hunt the 5s and consider it a 30 yard gun that would work if I misjudged to 40.

FLINT

Thanks guys, I'll use the 5s.  Hopefully I can luck into something this evening or tomorrow.  Next year I need to make sure I get more than 1.5 days to hunt!!!

Yeah, I don't know what is up with that gun - I think it might be possessed by satan.  It was weeks ago now that I shot it and my cheek bone is still sensitive - must have bruised the bone or something.  I'm thinking of offering it back to the sons of the guy my dad got it from.  Maybe they would want it for sentimental reasons.  I'm pretty much over thinking that its cool because its a 10 gauge.  Its a model 9478.  I think it was called the Long Tom. 

nickp

Those old Stevens sure will whop ya.  I have a 20 that is awesome, had a twelve and the gun you have.  Had.  Couldn't take many patterning sessions.  Try the Federal Heavyweight #7's.  They shot great out of the full 20 and 12.  Didn't have the 10 around long enough to find out but I guarantee it will do better than the others.

FLINT

Thanks nick.  I've decided not to give up on the 10.

Ordered a limbsaver nitro pad today and a 3/4" lead rod to replace the steel in the stock.  Also taped a piece of foam pipe insulation onto the comb to cushion the blow to my cheek.

I'm going to try the hw 7s, and see how they do.